3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many have shoulder problems?  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
How many have shoulder problems?
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
How many of you have shoulder problems that you know are a result of shooting a bow.What have you done to correct it or what did your DR say to do.My bow arm shoulder feels like hamburger since I started trad 2yrs ago.I know I shot too much at first;tuning and getting a feel for it.I was probably overbowed also,I bet ya most of us are.An old Herters catalog I have recommends no more than 45-50lbs for the average sized male.I wish I still had thr chart I would post the #'s.I don't need a DR to tell me to stop shooting for a couple months,and I got a new bow coming this summer,less#,so that's what I'm gonna do.If it still hurts then Iv'e probably done some serious damage.  :(

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many have shoulder problems?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Been shooting recurves and longbows for 10 years now and , knock on wood, no problems.  Of course, the majority of those years have been spent shooting bows in the 45-50# range.  Had a 65# draw weight Mamba for a bit.  Nice shooting bow, but the high poundage tired me out too fast for my liking.  
I find it interesting that some folks develope shoulder problems and others don't.  I believe the cause is not just pulling excessive poundages but that they do so with improper technique.  Rather than pulling with the back muscles, many folks try to use the arm and shoulder muscles.  The result of the repeated strain is a repeative motion injury.  Kind of like carpel tunnel.
I hope your shoulder gets to feeling better.  Take care.....Chris
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Robert,

I currently have a torn labrum (shoulder cartliage) from a old work injury.  When it first happened, I could not shoot my recurves.  I switch to shooting a compound for a few years along with weight training.  After a few years with the compounds I needed to shoot my recurves again.  With regular exercise, I can shoot without any pain.  

A few months ago I really over did it shoot a new bow.  I had another MRI done and I am scheduled for surgery after the hunting season ends here.  Now I limit myself to around 30 arrows (per day) during a practice.  I also make it point to do shoulder exercises every night.  With this routine I have no problem shooting bows in the 60 to 65 pound range.  This also has nothing to due with size, I am 5'-6" and 160 pounds.  

Chris is correct that form is very important to keep healthy shoulders.  Check out the shooters forum, there is some great information there.

I would also suggest you go see a sport medice doctor.  Get your shoulder checked to find out what the problem is, and what the corrective action is.  Most non-sports doctors will tell you just to stop shooting, but most shoulder problem can be fix and have you shooting without pain.

I wish you well,

James

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
James what type of shoulder exercises are you doing. I'm having some slight problems myself lately and was thinging about exercises for shoulder. I think that may help.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I started archery as advanced therapy following three rotator cuff surgeries. 1 left 2 right in succession. I still go to the gym three nights a week to keep them up and I do get a little pain if I shoot more than 60 or so arrows in a few hours but if I just stick to some moderate practice and the 3d league shoots I have no problem. I shoot a 55# r/d longbow.
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
I tore both rotator cuffs years ago, do therapy with a "rubber band" regularly, plus push-ups, stretches. I haven't ever had shoulder problems related to shooting recurves, but I dropped from 60# to the 50# range a few years ago, lower is probaby better. Just got a new bow and am taking it to about 47# at my draw weight. My problem is more elbow tendons than sore shoulders.

Sounds like yer shooting too much & too much weight, your shoulder should never--ever--feel like "hamburger". I'm 5'8"+, 155 lb., can drag a 200+ lb. buck a long way, can whip out 50 push-ups anytime, haul firewood all day or whatever...but shooting is different. Some guys are lucky & never have problems, but if it were me, I'd back off on bow weight. Forget charts, try something around 40-50# max.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm dropping down from 55lb to 49lb with my new bow,not here yet.I'm 5'10", 175lbs,run 8-10miles aweek,bench 225,and when i'm at my best can do 116 push ups/min.I used to shoot a 76lb compound no problem and it's aggravating to think I can't handle a 55lb bow.I dont think its form, but rather too much shooting.I use my back muscles when I shoot and my shoulder doesn't hurt while I'm shooting,  it's an hour later  when I realize I over did it.The bow I shoot now stacks like crazy and ther's no tellin what I actually am pulling at anchor,hopefully this new bow will take care of that problem.

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Well.........

I sold my 82# bow and replaced it with a 50# draw.  At my age, my need for the elephant bow has passed! :-(

Lobo in West Virginia
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline bowhnter7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I have shot competitive compound archery and never had any problems. I started shooting only trad about 6 months ago pretty seriously and have developed drawing shoulder pain. I am only shooting 46 pounds but I think I may shoot too much at one time. I know it is the way I am drawing the bow, using my shoulder and not my back as much. I am working on figuring it out. My Dr refered me to a therapist, but I have yet to go.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I used to get a littlew sore in the shoulders from shooting and pulled a muscle in my forearm and had tennis elbow from shooting. I now have chronic shoulder problems, but not from the bow. I fell about 20ft. going up a tree and the sudden stop at the bottom tore a rotatar cuff and also had a C3 seperation of my collar bone. I still have one 63# bow, but shoot mostly 48-55#s now. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
I have been shooting traditional for about 5 years now and have just this fall developed shoulder problems.  I went to the doctor last week and he injected it with cortizone and told me not to shoot for a month.  He said that I should look to shooting a compound because of the let off that you get with a compound.  The doctor is a friend on mine and he knows how much I like traditional archery.  I had been working up to 55# bows and just purchased another 55# recurve.

I have since ordered some 40# limbs for another bow in hopes of the month off and the lighter poundage helping my shoulder.  He also said that I could improve my chances of shooting traditional by strengthening my shoulder through exercise.  I will shoot again!

Offline Incognito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
I have a good bit of shoulder pain at times, messed it up shooting high poundage on compounds years ago. My pain is in my bow arm shoulder, not my pulling arm. Sports DR. told me to stretch before shooting,just like you would do before any athletic activity, it does help.

Offline Deerhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
I just started shooting traditional this year. First bow was a 46# herters recurve but I soon got the LB itch and got a W.W. Royal 53# LB. Loved that bow but it didn't last long. My shoulders couldn't take the 53# so today I got my new 46# Kohannah Kurve and the LB is going to a new home next week.
Cancer must have a crooked shootin bow cus it ain't kilt me yet.

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Lyproscopic surgery forced me to drop from 58# to 50.  I wish I had been shooting a lower weight sooner. With the 50# bow I can drop tension on my third finger and get super clean release and with that I didnt lose much because of the poundage. Its a must for me to warm up prior to shooting. It is true that you dont have to be a big person to shoot high # bows. Mr. Hill shot a 70 lb. bow in his later years and said he shot 100 arras a day.

Robert I would get an MRI and then you can have piece of mind or fix a problem early. My shoulder felt like yours and lyproscopic surgery was what was needed. I hope you are just overworking it?

Offline permian stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I was just diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder, I knew it was bad when I could no longer draw my bow. The orthopedic told me once the surgery is done no shooting for 6 months, seems excessive, but I want to be ready for next fall and not do something stupid and have a set back.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
I don't have any problems with my drawing shoulder,just my bow arm shoulder.I think its just the force against it when I drwa that's affecting it.It hadn't been doing this ,but it popped a couple of times today.Where mt collar bone joins the top if my shoulder is painful to touch.

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Have you tried modifying your stance ? If you shoot more straight up and down instead of canted and you turn your bow arm shoulder so it "points" at the target you will have more direct compression in your shoulder and less lateral stress in the cartiledge, just a thought. Good luck with it and take care of yourself.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I too have shoulder problems, and I shoot 53 lbs.

My string arm shoulder has a very sore Acromio-clavicular area.  It does not bother me while shooting, but after a long day at the range, the next day it kills me.

Been taking 2400mg of Ibuprofen/day, icing the shoulder 3x a day, and resting.  I hope this helps, as I have 2 custom bows on order right now.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Over did my drawing arm shoulder about 10 years ago at a shoot going nuts on aerial targets with a bow about 65#. I was HOT and it was FUN!  Found out next morning.  Still bothers me, but the first couple years once it got cold out I could not draw my 55# bow.  I can hunt and shoot in late season now with no problems, but the pain still pops up some.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
It's a bit like the old story in the Bible - when the Heathen king's commander, Naaman, wanted to be cured of his leprosy.  The little servant girl from Israel told him to go and see the Prophet of God.  When he got there he was told to wash seven time in the dirty oldJordan!$%^*&%&#$!!

Hearing this old Naaman took off in a huff - totally put out that the Prophet would suggest he do such an ignominious thing!  The servant took off after him and suggested that if the Prophet told him to do some great and difficult thing - he would have done it.  Whey not then go and just wash in the river - it's only a simple thing!!

Of course you all know the story - he was healed of his leprosy.

Sorry about the sermon - but the same thing happened to me!!  When I was living in Thailand last year, I shot my bow everyday and totally overdid it, plus I have a chronic injury from shooting a 78# wheelie for years.  

I went to the local hospital and the sent me off to the physio.  I had a young student who was assigned to help me.  He could barely speak English.  Like Naaman I was expecting some great things - at least injections and tablets.

All he assigned me was a set of excercies and told me to go home and each evening put a hot pack on my shoulder for about 30 min - then whack on an ice pack.  It is as old as the hills and is called hydrotherapy!

I felt miffed when I left the hospital and did nothing for a few days.  Remembering the story of old Naaman I decided to try the treatment.

It worked like a miracle.  I have a very bad shoulder, but since using this treatment (I do the excercises and hydrotherapy most nights as a preventative) my shoulder is much stronger and has gotten me back on track.  AS Soon as I stop it - hey presto - all the pain and gravelly shoulder is back again.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©