3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many have shoulder problems?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline cactus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many have shoulder problems?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Last spring my shoulder started to bother me.  It felt like someone stabbed me with a hot poker in the top of my left shoulder(I'm a lefty)every time I drew my bow.  Finally got so bad I went and had an MRI done.  Doc. told me I had bone spurs in the top of my shoulder due to shooting.  He said to just give it a break for awhile.  So after laying off for 6 weeks and shooting a bow with 8 lbs. less weight I feel fine. Though it still scares me alittle.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
I really do not have shoulder problems but have had a minor issue flare up every now and then in my drawing shoulder.The shoulder is comprised of 3 seperate muscle sections.Anterior,posterior and mediul head.What I like to do is dumbell work to keep everthing tight including the tendons and ligaments.The best exorcise for this IMO is the lateral raise.It will have a strengthing effect on all 3 sections of the shoulder.I like to use lighter wieght and higher reps for this vs heavy wieght and lower reps.Simply raise the dumbells out to your side.I like to go above parellell to the ground for a better effect and slowly with good concentration.Put your mind in your muscle and go for a good burn.I do 4 sets a day every 4th day or so.Its great for prevention and recovery as well.I do about 20 reps a set.Works for me.been shootin for about 15 years and never really had  shoulder problems.Just a minor tweak every once in a while.Give it a try.If you have an injury start very light when your ready and work your way up over time.Preventions the best medicine.Best of luck

Offline Bill Cunningham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
I have been shooting for about 60 years. I am not a young guy any more but at 5'9" I weigh 163 and usually can shoot any bow I'm handed. I draw with the muscles in my back and have pretty good form. Normally I will shoot 50 to 150 arrows a day, every day. For hunting I have shot some heavy bows but found that for me something in the 45 to 50 pound range worked as well. Accuracy is more important to me than flat trajectory and speed. For target shooting I have long used a Hoyt ProMedallist, one in 32 and one at 37#. about six months ago my draw arm shoulder began to tell me something was wrong. When it got bad enough I went to the DR and am now in physical therapy trying to get out of surgery for a torn rotator cuff. This is a tough situation because I recently got a new Predator at 41 pounds that draws like a 35 and shoots like a 50. I will not be able to shoot at all for at least another month and if things don't work out I shall be off to surgery land - which means another three months of no shooting. If you have doubts about your shoulder go to the doctor now. See an Orthopedist - not a general practitioner. But do it now.
Bill C

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©