3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: vermonster13's Mentor Challenge!!!  (Read 1384 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
vermonster13's Mentor Challenge!!!
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Folks heres a challenge for you. I challenge each and every one of you to introduce traditional archery to a child this year. Post pics to this thread of the youngster's progress and share a hunt with them if they're old enough. Every now and then when something strikes me right I'll send a mentor a reward for their efforts. Let's help Traditional Hunting and the  next generation get off to a good start. I promise regardless if you get something from me or not, you'll be rewarded.

We have lot's of valuable experience here, let's share it!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vermonster13's Mentor Challenge!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Man, your something.Thats a good deal for all involved.  :notworthy:

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
outstanding dave... i took care of a youngster last month and am giving another a youth bow thursday for his birthday... this is what needs to be done to keep the tradition alive... show these kids the ropes and take them hunting... and remember ...little girls like to shoot bows too!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline mp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Bravo!!!
"let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith"
— Hebrews 12:1-2

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I'm giving a presentation to the local scout troop in early March.  I'll try to get and post pics of the event.  I'm thinking of an overview of selfbow construction.  I hope later to add string making (cording), and maybe my new passion knife building.  It's only valuable if we pass it on.

-Brett

P.S. Any input or ideas would be welcome.  Please PM me or send to my site.  Thank you.
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
So who's up to the challenge? Anyone going to commit to give it a go?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I have given away quite a few little Green all fiberglass bear bows to kids in our neighborhood and shoot with them quite a bit. I try and pick those things up at yard sales and such whenever I see them.

Just the other day a latino family was walking together as they do everyday in our sub-division and my wife called to them to come and play. I got the little boy HOOKED, heck even his mother who speaks no english and had to talk with us through her kids got into it.

I suspect ALOT of guys on here do the same thing all the time but to get on here and tell it seems a little like tooting your own horn.

Great Idea Dave, everyone needs a little encouragment to get er' done!    :thumbsup:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
plan on possibly starting  archery sessions at my church i am not the best at organizing i should have lots of help though Ralph

other than a huge desire to see archery grow i don't have any instructor qualifications just want to do it  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I'll be doing a presentation thursday night in front of 50 plus kids on my Homemade Traditional Royal Slam in Indianola Ms at the Methodist Church annual wild game supper. Hopefully I'll hook just 1 with 42 slides and homemade bows and calls strung across the table!! It will be all my pleasure for sure
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I've got a Kid picked out already. He's the same age as my youngest Daughter 16, he's been in a little trouble but he really is a good Kid just needs some direction. We've got a bow fishing trip planned for spring. And everybody knows if You shoot one fish with traditional gear Your hooked forever!!!

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Not really a kid, but I just got my brother shooting.

Sounds like fun. I don't really know any kids per say but if I come across any I'll give it a go.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Is that someone different besides my 5 grandkids  :scared:     :biglaugh:
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Vermonster. I got my 5yr. old granddaughter shooting 3 weeks ago.She had to go bunny hunting with Papaw.
We had a blast. Stayed in the woods all day.She is already making plans for the next weekend she comes over. This past weekend she took me bear hunting. She's so funny.This weekend My youngest grandson turns 6. His new bow will be here tomorrow.He's been asking for one for two years now.Finally found one small enough for him. He's a real little guy.Man are we going to have fun. When I get home this weekend I'll post pics of my granddaughters bear hunt and grandson shooting for the first time.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
I bought my 6 year old grandson a recurve for Christmas.  I've been taking him shooting as our schedules work out.  I'll be going deer hunting with he and his Dad this fall.  His Dad has the very first stickbow I bought.  I gave it to him when I bought my second one.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline talvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
I have introduced my girlfriend and her two boys to archery and hunting. They all have taken to it very well, and passionately I might add. I think of the boys as my own, and this brings a smile to my face as I type this.
 The bug is so ingrained now, that we are currently building an archery range and "hunting/archery" room in our basement
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Applause for all the above

And a special one to Todd. A caring man in the house makes "ALL" the difference too boys growing up.  :clapper:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
I'm already on my way. The little neighbor boy wanted a bow cause I am always out there shooting. I've been teaching him, but he's still pretty young, our sessions are short. He's gotten a good bit bigger over the winter, he should do well this summer.

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I got all of my kids started last year. Just waiting for the snow to melt a bit and the temps to get above freezing to get them out there again.

Shooting with them helps my own shooting also, there is a lot to be said about just "letten em fly".
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline aYak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
1996 Niko (nephew of ayak & kpaul) with his "new" 1967 Bear

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
As soon as I tame this "tribe" I'll be ready for a new challenge! LOL!!!
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©