3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: vermonster13's Mentor Challenge!!!  (Read 1386 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: vermonster13's Mentor Challenge!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »

my 12 year old
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Great examples folks. Now lets rustle up some new blood this year. I am starting to line up some rewards(not that anyone does it for that but it never hurts to recognize folks who go the extra mile).
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I'll be looking for a bow for my son this year at Whittingham. He currently shoots a compound that my father gave him for Christmas a couple of years ago. He asked me a couple of weeks ago if he's ready to take off the training wheels yet.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Great Idea, I've been seeing alot of youngster pics on here lately.

The rest of the story   HERE

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
Last summer my MBH governor Rob Kruko and I had the chance to teach a group of youngsters through the NWTF "Jakes" program. It was held at the Barry County Conservation Club.. The bows were donated for the day and we also had my kids trad bows on hand. We had a turkey 3-D target and a bear 3-D target. It's funny watching them fling arrows and get hooked on archery.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Figure on May/June to do a little award giving. So folks have lots of time to get busy with a kid. It will keep the flame burning bright in yourself when you help nourish it in another.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Here's a pic of my 4yr old son - Connor - with his little green Bear bow.

And here is my 2yr old son - Ian - who is in charge of "bow security" while Connor gathers his arrows.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Long Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Started my boys last summer...the oldest is six and the youngest three...we shoot in the basement during the winter and have a blast! I just have to patch the drywall in the spring!   :bigsmyl:

Derek W.

"I never thought missing could be so much fun!"       -Me

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Up for Doc Ed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Cher and I already got a 'date' to take Maggie, a pre teen Aussie cutie, out for her first 'big game' hunt, sometime this year. She will use her custom Glenn Newell longbow. We'll go for rabbits, and perhaps a bit of fox calling. I'm sure I'll enjoy the hunt as much as she, if not more. We'll let her dad come along too - just for kicks - but this hunt is all Maggie's. I'm just the giude!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Post pics Doc!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Another bump.  I recently posted this on a state based sportsman forum, and hope it will be taken well here:

-------------------------
I am not sure if anyone else does this, but  the end of the hunting season is one of my favorite times to buy hunting items.  Calls, scents, drags, clothes, etc are all on SALE!!

Yesterday my wife and I were at a Meijers in the Kzoo area and come across some insulated hunter orange jackets and pants that were 75% off... a heavy hunting coat or pants for $14.99.  My wife and I have been hunting for several years so its not a big deal, but our nephew is turning 12 this year and is totally pumped about it.

Last year when he passed his hunter safety class, I bought him a "hunting" hat and I'm not sure if he takes it off to shower!  My wife and I talked and what better way to support a new hunter, than buy him a set of hunting clothes?  He was using my wifes old clothes when he went with papa, but being a growing teen they were quickly getting small.  FWIW, I wish we were closer so I could take him out, but he is in the very good hands of my father in law.  I am overly excited about our up coming trip to the UP where they will be delivered.  I can not wait to see the pictures of him in them with his deer.

So if I may impart on those of you who know a new hunter who may not have "proper" gear to head out for the end of season sales and hook them up with some stuff.  It may mean the difference between them staying hunters or not.  Plus this time of year it will not hurt the checkbook near as bad as it will next fall.

Thanks for listening.

John
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
That is a great idea John. Nothing turns a new hunter into a truck sitter quicker than being cold/uncomfortable.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Dave, we have a decent size youth group at my church. you have any suggestions on how I would go about putting something together for them. we have a Awana program now, its for the younger kids up to about 12 yrs. I am interested in talking with my Pastor about this, but would want some advice before taking it to him. I think the kids would really enjoy it. thanks for advice and your time.
          blessings, Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Great challenge Vermonster13.

I teach 4h archery so its a little unfair for me to take the challenge. We usualy have 40 or 50 kids in our club shooting archery. Half are new or used to compounds. We show them how fun simple archery is without the sights and gadgets. The kids have alot of fun.

I'll post some picks sometime.

And for anyone who is interested in 4H shooting sports check with your county 4H office.
Jason Lester

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
First you need to find men and women in your church who hunt and have an interest in passing on the tradition. Set-up some guidelines on responsible behavior with the children and such. Then put the word out that you have adults willing to help children get Hunter Safety Certified and to teach them the ropes and share their hunting experience with them. Don't be afraid to start small and have it grow over time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
thanks for the advice. will pursue it. and let you know how it goe's across.

thank you.
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
A couple pics from last years all day shooting sports event. I had a bunch of arrow shafts there for the kids to fletch. I also had several selfbows in several stages to show. The kids got to shoot thier arrows and had a good time.  

Jason Lester

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Jason take one of the kids out hunting this year and you're in as far as I'm concerned. I help out at the state camp during the summer here getting the boys and girls bowhunter certified myself(I'm a VT STate Bowhunting Safety Instructor) we usually get around 150 kids certified, but I consider mentoring more of a one on one thing personally.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
I agree one on one is so much better. I got to take a kid from church and my daughter out hunting this year. Both had realy close encounters with nice deer. It wasn't trad archey but it was a blast for me. I'm hoping my daughter can pull 40 lbs by hunting season. if not I'll be taking someone. Its to much fun to be out with the youngsters.  ...
Jason Lester

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©