Author Topic: Sinew?  (Read 643 times)

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
Sinew?
« on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
I haven't hunted yet but most of my friends do. What would I need them to do for me to get leg and (maybe) backstrap sinew? If I hunted and knew anything about the anatomy of a deer I would be able to tell him exactly what I wanted but right now I just have a general idea.

Also, about how much sinew is usually used to back a selfbow? Will titebond work? I think I heard of someone using regular yellow glue... I may be wrong.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sinew?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
For sinew you want to use hide glue. You can buy titebond brand hide glue ... its different form the wood glue ... its protein based. You can also make it from knox gelatin .... its cheap and I've found it works well.

How much you need depends on the size of the bow etc ... maybe half a dozen sinews .... I usually just get alot and use whatever I need ... cant say exactly how much I use normally.

Sinew takes alot of time to prepare and to apply ... I would recommend you spend you're time and efforts in the beginning learning about proper tillering, bow design, proper woods etc.

Start with the sinew once you're comfortable with the basics.

Cheers

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Back strap sinew comes from the back of the,loin. You or your friends,need,to,remove it before cutting up or freezing the loin.
Back leg sinew comes from for lack of beter terms from the knee down and through the ankle.

There are pro type bowyers that use tite bond 2 and 3'for their sinew work.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
There's a great how-to on harvesting sinew on here. I think it was AZ-stick shooter maybe? Do a search in the How-To thread.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
It was from 2004 and posted by AZstickman. A very good tutorial on harvesting leg sinew and how to prepare it for future use.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Ok thanks, I tried to do a search but couldn't get it. I probably won't sinew a bow for a while but it wouldn't hurt to have it on hand, and I bet I could trade with it. I have some great ERC trees on my mom's property that I plan on harvesting once I can get a chainsaw. Sinew seems like a good way to keep it shooting for a while.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Just a word about glues, glues are like the ford chevy argument, everyone has an opinion. I have used both hide glue and titebond the only advantage I seen from one or the other is tb3 is water proof. I have heard that TB makes the bow slightly more sluggish then hide glue, but I have always figured there are alot more variables that could effect a bows performance and make it impossible to verify this unless a person was to back one with one and then strip it off and back it with the other.
I am sure the purist would disagree with me, but they have their own arguments with in them selves. Westcoast purist would say fish bladder glue is the only way to go lol
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Davidv Im gonna stir the pot alittle more lol. If you make friends with some one that works in a slaughter house, you can ask them the save the leg sinew for ya. Anyplace that does custom butchering will likely do a few deer ooorrrr even a cow will work. They will usually do this for a small nominal fee.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
There gotta be something in the water out there in Missouri.  I haven't met a guy yet from that state that's what I would call right. LMAO  :laughing:

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
... I feel bad for saying this but what's not right Roy?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
If anyone is familiar with "not quite right", it'd be Roy  :)

I only use real hide glue for sinew and rawhide applications. It's the best match, being made of the same proteins and collagens as skins and tendons. Here's an excellent article that explains the properties and applications of the glues bowyers often use.

Thinking Glue - by Dean Torges

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
David, I'm just messing with a few of my friends from out that way:) I don't wanna be right...

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Yea, Roy talks real tough because he is a long ways from Mo.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 03:19:00 AM »
OL Roy ain't all wrong either LOL

Gotta love a half crazy old fart.

As far as sinew goes hide glue is the only way to go    :readit:   guess I see it that way cause I'm a Chevy man.    :laughing:  

Sometime this winter I plan on doing a sinew along on a plains style horn bow so keep an for it. I'll be doing it Parker style
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Gotta love a half crazy old fart.

Ah sticks and I was just about to take your name off the thumpen list.  :laughing:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Tite Bond III for me.  I am not good enough to tell the difference in performance but I sure can tell the difference in ease of application, cure time, and resistance to rehydration in humid summer months.

Oh yeah, and Ford for me.  Stiks has a Chevy that ain't so good at ice-skatin' I know.  Actually my primary huntin' rig is a Toyota.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DavidV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Thanks, I'm not all right anyway...and I'm broke. Have to make do with what I have at the moment which is titebond. Just wondering for the sake of future reference.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 02:50:00 AM »
I hear ya on the ice skating John but she makes a good plow LOL.

David I reckon the debate over glues will last long after all of us are gone.

Use what works best for you and it will all be good bud for sure.

I've seen some fine shooting bows done both ways.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Well Roy could be right I drive a chevy at the moment but have always been a dodge man and that cant be right.

Hey Roy I can bottle some of our good ol swamp water and send to ya, its been known to reverse the effects of that fruity adult beverage that they have been promoting on here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©