Author Topic: Itching to Buy a Drill Press--How Big?  (Read 347 times)

Offline SenterShot

• Trad Bowhunter
Itching to Buy a Drill Press--How Big?
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Should I get a bench top, or floor stand?

I'd like to start building some take-down bows, and I assume that a drill press would be much better for positioning and keeping holes clean and straight. Besides, I've often wanted a drill press for woodcarving and maybe some furniture projects. I've got a Rigid oscillating sander, so I won't need to run the drill press with sanding drums, but I just wonder if the 5 speed $49.99 bench top at Harbor Freight (after Super Saver coupon)would do what I want it to. It's got only 2" of quill travel and 4" from the column to table center.

Any thoughts from those of you who occassionally take on a furniture project in addition to building bows?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Itching to Buy a Drill Press--How Big?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
With any drill press, it's all in the jig. That said, I would start with a budget, then make sure that the arbor of whatever you buy spins true and get the most horsepower, range, and adjustability that falls within you budget. As with most machinery, the heavier it is, the more heavy duty is usually is. Made in China means nothing anymore. Made in China to who's specifications? means a whole lot more.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
I'd say the 2 inches of quill travel would be a deal,buster.
I would shoot for at least,4 inches of,travel and a bigger table.

More than one speed even if you have to move belts.
Adjustable table height.

As for bench top vs floor. Depends if you,have room on a bench to make a dedicated spot.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Missaukee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
If this is still relevant, I to am on a budget and had a drill press similar to what you propose buying, a Menards version.

For $129 get a craftsman bench top, much larger more powerful and much greater quality. This is still extremely cheap (price) and will get you a lot farther than the cheapest available.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
The harbor freight one you speak of does not have enough travel to make 1/2 of a pen! I would get the biggest one that is in your budget. I use my drill press for getting straight holes in my forms and an endless number of projects. I do not know anyone who has ever said I wish I had a smaller drill press. Floor stand would be optimal and sometimes you can get a good deal on craigslist.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Get a good floor stand model, your going to have it for a long time. Buy the best and only cry once is my motto:)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©