3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Pictures  (Read 3167 times)

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Pictures
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
All,

Thanks for the pictures...it’s a toss up between the kingwood and the ironwood. I like the darker color woods with a unique grain. It’s always a hard choice when you can’t see it in your hand before you spend a G. I will trust BW and love whatever I choose.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
E-mail Roger at Black Widow, and ask for close-up photographs of Kingwood and Ironwood - remember, Ironwood is only used in the V risers, and the limbs are bamboo stained dark brown to match. So, if you want that unique grain, go for an X model.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Little John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Here are a couple pics of my cocobola and yew PTFX. The yew got a nice amber color now. This was when it was new. The 2 colors match real well.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
I gotta admit I never liked the look of yew too much. I have been thinking of ordering a PSAX though and knew Cocabola would be the riser wood but dang those look good with yew limbs. Thanks everyone for posting the pics.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
Better check with the Widow bows about yew limbs.  I heard a rumor they were no longer gonna be using them, not from the horse's mouth though, so check it out.  

Doeboy, I owned a V model with Ironwood, and while very nice, it doesn't have much grain to it.  If you want a grainy look go with the Kingwood.  That said, I like em all!...Mike

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
MORE..MORE..lets see more!!
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
PSAIII

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Anybody got some pics (close-up and strung) of a 54"-56" PSR in that Ironwood? I think that's my next bow.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by nontypical:
MORE..MORE..lets see more!!
can't wait to see your new one buddy!

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
"  

PGA  Rosewood and Osage
XLA  Ebony
HF   1225
AO   Autumn Oak one piece
PLX  Osage takedown

Not pictured another HF  and a Crown Jewell

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
Here is my PSA3. I got the limbs with bamboo so Toby suggested they also put it in the riser instead of the white.... I like it. Click the thumb for a bigger picture.

Bill

Aim Small

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
BillW,
is there an advantage to the bamboo? i have heard of many bows made with it but is it a performance based addition?

P.S. your widow is sweet! i havent seen one yet i dont like.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
doeboy, the exotic models (except osage) have bamboo cores in them as well.  I don't chrono my bows, but they don't seem to be any faster with the bamboo.  I do feel, however, that they are smoother drawing bows with the bamboo.  Just my opinion...Mike

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Like Mike said, I am not sure there is much measurable speed difference. It draws nicer in my opinion and may be a couple of FPS faster...

At Compton, I had done a side by side with a PSA3 with standard limbs and a PSAX. I liked the feel the PSAX had but I liked the Autumn Oak. I talked to Toby and he agreed to do my bow like this. Glad they did. Some critics say you cannot get a custom BW but I think I did. Those guys would say about anything though. IMHO they are a Custom bow each and every one!
Bill
Aim Small

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
I agree they are totally a custom bow.  You can have just about any wood around. the grip can be shaped any way you want. You can even order it to the exact poundage.  Some people may say that they are built by machines.  Those CNC machines only rough the bows out.  The Widow Workers are the ones that build and finish the bows.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
I should post mine as well. What great bows they make in Nixa, MO....
PGA and PSAIII

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
Here's my PSAV Ironwood....just shot the 50# limbs today for the first time. Man it was 3 dozen awesome feeling shots for sure. To top that off a neighbor threw out their 3D buck decoy so I set it up and had me a ball.......free. 57# on top and 50# on the bottom.

Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 01:45:00 AM »
Ya know, I've shot my buddies old 1960ish widow and always loved it.  For years though the standard Widow was either grey or brown laminated maple (hence the plywood bow coments) and while they shot great, I always thought those bows were heavy and kinda ugly but even worse, there was NOTHING unique about them.  You seen one Widow, you seen them all.  For sure I didn't dissagree with the guys who claimed you couldn't get a custom Widow.   Then when Widow came out with the Ironwood bow a couple years ago I was kinda taken with it's looks.  I'm just a sucker for a pretty piece of wood whether it's in a gunstock or a bow.... Of course, I certainly couldn't afford one of the ironwood bows but I liked the way they looked in the adds.  I was kinda thinking that maybe there was such a thing as a unique looking Widow...

Now, after seeing these pictures, I'm totally agog!  Them are some serious good looking bows and I can honestly say they truely look like a custom bow!  Only problem is, I bet I still can't afford one...   "[dntthnk]"
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
They are only relatively expensive... there are bows that cost more... you can tell yourself and your wife (I do) that a new bolt-action rifle (Sako, Tikka, Winchester) costs more... and if you were into boats or moto-cross, it'd cost heaps more!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
The old argument that they are too expensive goes out the window as well.  If you look around at the high end bows, they are all pretty close in price.  Too expensive?  For some I'm sure, but then so are Silvertips, Blacktails, Morrisons, A&H, etc...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©