Author Topic: Yew Character (updated)  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Yew Character (updated)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Here is an update on one of the bows. Tillered out to 23 inches. Shooting for 28"  Right now she is still heavy and about 65 lbs. at 23
 Shot a few rounds through her at short draw. She sure zips an arrow at 65 lbs.  This back is so lumpy bumpy and just beautiful. Don't think this one will have any skins Roy.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
One more for prespective.

Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Looking good. Maybe a bit stiff on the left limb right after that big ole bump? Those spots always give me fits. I always worry aboutgetting to thin there. I'm glad you remembered I've got skins on the other bow you gave me so I won't need any on this one.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Very nice Keenan...

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Thanks for the eye ball input David.After looking at all them bumps all day , my eyes are starting to get crossed. I've been trying to get a little more bend on the outer thirds. Keep scraping and scraping but they still look stiff.  :rolleyes:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Looks pretty good to me ole boy. Less ya wanna get both outer 1/3rds bending more.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Yep Roy that's what I was thinking outer thirds are still being stiff.  :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
That is some amazing work on a beautiful piece of wood.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Keenan = Jedi Master of Selfbow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Did you reflex the outer limbs, Keenan? That would keep them flatter. So it's ok I guess:)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Beautiful Keenan!!!

:notworthy:  

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I like that bow its sweet. I am working on a yew right now as well. Are you going to reinforce the string nock area or not? I didnt on my last yew and it spit, was thinking of trying horn but I am normally less is better kind of bowyer. I am also thinking the outer limbs need to bend more, but a lot of folks really like the stiff outer limb tiller. Suppose I am more of a whip tiller guy. Great looking bow though.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Beautiful work as always Keenan.  I think the back looks great the way it is, be a shame to cover it up with skins.  Can't wait to see it with some finish on it...Dan

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Thank you everyone. I worked on her a little more today and got the mid and outer limbs bending a touch more. Little closer to weight but still have a few pounds to shed. Out to about 26" now.  will try to get some more pics up tommarrow

Jack The tips have zebra wood overlays. Sorry I didn't post pics of that. On yew I always do tip overlays. Just to soft to risk it without, and I like fast flight instead of b50

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Fast Flight on a Yew Longbow? Oh My God, Howard Hill just rolled over in his grave.    :laughing:    :deadhorse:  

Hey ole boy in those pictures, which is the top limb? The limb with the big lump?

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
HH did not have fast flight or he would have used it.

Great work Keenan. Trying to look through the lumps and see the tiller is a challenge. What is the length and what weight are you aiming for?

I was doing that short draw shoot-in thing once with an unbacked yew and had a brain short circuit... "What if I pulled it another couple inches..." largest piece was eleven inches. Very exciting.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Roy, Since the original bows were made with sinew strings and other types of natural cordage I'm sure that that would have been said about him as well  :eek:     :bigsmyl:  

And yes the top limb is the one with the big bump

Shaun, Thank you, It's 66" and shooting for 45-50 lbs. at 28"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Just messen wit ya ole boy:)

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Yep Ol Roy, and now that you admitted it on a public forum, you is on MY thumpin list.  :laughing:    :laughing:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
I ain't skeered.   :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©