Author Topic: Tools  (Read 504 times)

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
Tools
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Sorry, I hope this is not considered off topic, and if it gets deleeted thats ok and I appologize... But I'm looking at Bandsaws.
What is the lowest HP and smallest size needed for bow building? and what would be best? Just looking to get a general idea of what I will be looking for in a decent band saw Never owned one myself but used a number of them, however all the ones I have used were very big industrial band saws. I can't afford one that big for sure.
Also - what other tools I am not thinking of now would be good to ask for for for xmas that have to do with bow building - i have a small table saw, dremel and dremel max, jig saw... Scroll saw (old but still works).. A plane, rasp and some decent files.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
My first two selfbows I used a 1/3 hp benchtop bandsaw.  I had to go super slow and it kept bogging down.  I made it work, but it was definatly undersized.  Since then I have moved up several times.  I have a Craftsman 12" 1hp saw now.  I got it for $100 on Craigslist.  It was in brand new condition.  It does everything I need it to do, but if I had the money and space, I would get a 14" Grizzly bandsaw.

If you are making selfbows, you should get a ferriors rasp and a scraper to go along with what you already have.  A bench top belt sander is nice to have also.  Get a good vise to.  I'm sure other guys will recommend some more tools.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
If your going to build self bows or backed wood bows.
You could get by with a,12 inch but you will always want a,bigger one.
I have the Grizzly 14 inch 1 HP. There are times I could use even bigger.

Self bows the farriers rasp is good. Scrapper is a must and learn how to sharpen them.
Spoke shave.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Bandsaw, no less than 1 hp and 12 inch. You will want a belt sander/dics sander combo too, a small one will work like around $150.00 job.

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
How is Powermatic as far as brand and function?. Looks like an older model but its 14 inches. 275 on CL (new ones are 1900)? More than I wanna pay right now but if its worth it...
And yeah I have been looking at the belt / disk sanders as well.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Powermatic has been around a long time. I've not used one.
Sounds like a good price.
What H.P. ?
Would be even sweater deal if some blades were thrown in.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
not sure of hp ill have to ask

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Also - I used a dremel with sander to make the last two riser handles I made (shape where the hand goes) is there another tool or bit for dremel that is better? Nothing wrong with the sander but now i'm having trouble keeping the sand paper on the bit for some reason. Just wondering what you all do and I might just keep at it.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
My wife bought me a Sears oscillating spindle sander years ago. Shape almost all my handles with it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
If it is in any kind of shape at all,it is worth that IMO.
Powermatic is good stuff. Use it and upgrade the guides when you can,and replace any worn parts as you go. it will be worth putting money into.
My first bandsaw was a ratted out delta 14"
i could not cut a board in half when I got it,but i learned how to use it and set it up and made a few upgrades and watched my buddies jaw hit the floor when I peeled a veneer off a 6" tall maple board that you could see though. They don't have to be pretty to work good. i paid $250 for the delta.

Use a good rasp for your handle work and smooth it over with a 5" R/O sander
Good luck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Can't say about the 14" saws, but DON'T buy a 9" saw. Waste of time and $. IMO.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
$275 sounds like a great deal for a 14" saw. If it runs, grab it. With bandsaws, bigger is usually better. You will do more than build bows with it. You can use it for building furniture, cutting out blocks for decoys, making a rocking horse for your little one. You get the idea. Plus, it will make short work of cutting out fancy risers.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
You could even make a Rocking Horse for two tracks.  :laughing:  

CL is a great place to find power tools.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
I can see I'm gonna have to start a thumpin' list myself.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
LOL........

Offline twospots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Well it was sold already by the time he got back to me .lol. figures...

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Keep a close eye on Craigslist.  You never know what will show up.  I checked it every day for probably a year until I found mine dirt cheap.  Look any used tools over good and have them show you it works.  Watch buying anything from "shady" individuals.  You don't want to get involved with stolen property.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline mydog'sslave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by twospots:
Sorry, I hope this is not considered off topic, and if it gets deleeted thats ok and I appologize... But I'm looking at Bandsaws.
What is the lowest HP and smallest size needed for bow building? and what would be best? Just looking to get a general idea of what I will be looking for in a decent band saw Never owned one myself but used a number of them, however all the ones I have used were very big industrial band saws. I can't afford one that big for sure.
Also - what other tools I am not thinking of now would be good to ask for for for xmas that have to do with bow building - i have a small table saw, dremel and dremel max, jig saw... Scroll saw (old but still works).. A plane, rasp and some decent files.

Offline mydog'sslave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I have a 14 inch Powermatic and I love it.  You have to be careful with the belt tensioner.  The instructions are bad.  Do not move the tension knob unless the blade is tight. I still go by feel, there are markings for adjustments but there is no indicator to align with the markings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©