Author Topic: all wood kids longbow question  (Read 374 times)

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
all wood kids longbow question
« on: November 16, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
hey all... I am stepping away from my fiberglass recurves for a moment and want to try some long bows for kids.  I want them safe but need to keep cost down so I am thinking of doing hickory laminations glued together.

just need some opinions on this idea from a few of you that has done this.  I will cut my own lams and was going to glue two parallels and a taper with tight bond III.

so any helpfull hints would be great.  I will build one of these after Thanksgiving.
God gave you hands, use them

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: all wood kids longbow question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
Dean Torges showed how to make kids bows with Rattan in his video on bamboo backed bows. No glue up needed.Rough the bow out on a bandsaw, cut some nocks and string it up and you have a bow.Little or no tillering required.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
What weight are you looking for? For light weight bows around 15@15 or so then two 1/8in. pieces 48in. long will do you for a heavier bow use one 1/8in. piece for a back and one 1/4in. piece for a belly and make em 54-58 in. long. Should end up around 30ish lbs. Straight taper for the profile. Glue on a six in handle if you want. I don't have any pics but they work good. Hemp wraps are a cheap finish or use old leather scraps. Floppy rests help protect their hands.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Maybe I am over thinking this then.  I was going to use a new form.. and glue them up like I do the fiberglass models.  A full handle with a sight and all.  I was shooting for 13# to 22#.. different ones.. and about 48" to 52"

So is there no benefit to using 3 thinner lams?  Using the 2 lams will be enough and won't break on me.. cool.  I was thinking 3 thinner lams glued up would really help prevent any possible breakage.

Thanks again guys
God gave you hands, use them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©