Author Topic: Building an Old School Hill style longbow  (Read 3049 times)

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Building an Old School Hill style longbow
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I've become a fan of the old school Hill style bows like the ones built by John Schulz or currently by David Miller and Dave Johnson.  So for this one I'm going with brown glass on the back and gray glass on the belly with a myrtle riser.  While I was at it I'd figured I'd take some pics and do a bow build since there seems to be a growing interest in this style of bow.

So here's my materials...laminations from Kenny M, and myrtle riser block from IdahoCurt.

My stack for this one is:
0.040 brown glass
three 0.090 amber actionboo parallels
one 0.110 amber actionboo 0.002 tapered
0.040 gray glass

This is a bit of an experiment for me because I have always used 0.050 glass in my previous Hill style bows, but I bought a bunch of 0.040 glass from a fellow trad ganger a while ago and figured I'd use it and see what happens.  This recipe does violate the rule of thumb of 20 - 25% glass in the stack (at 17%) so I might get some set in the limbs.  Oh well, I've always wanted a string follow design anyway    ;)    

After squaring up the riser block, I traced my pattern and cut it out on the bandsaw.  My riser is 16" in length, 1 3/4" deep and 1 1/2" wide.

I don't cut to the line on the bandsaw.  I use an oscillating spindle sander to get down to the line.  I back the fadeouts with another squared up block of wood for support while sanding.

The trick is to get the ends of the fadeouts paper thin to the point where you can see light through them.  I try to always keep the riser moving on the spindle sander so that I minimize any "bumps" in the fadeout areas.

Once I've got the fadeouts sanded to shape on the spindle sander, I also hand sand them to get out any "bumps" that might be there.  I use a curved block of wood that was the product of cutting the fadeouts from a previous bow and has 80 grit sandpaper glued to it.

OK - The riser is ready for glue up.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building an Old School Hill style longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Next I joined the paired laminations together to make one continuous lam.  Kenny marks the ends of matching lamination halves.

I use a disk sander fitted with a jig to taper the ends of each lamination half.  I like to put a pretty good taper on each half as this increases the gluing surface and helps to keep them from coming apart during glue up.

I match up the tapered ends and use a straight edge to make sure the entire lamination is straight.  They are glued together with titebond and I use a piece of masking tape to hold them together until the glue dries.

That's as far as I got this evening.  I've got tomorrow off work and I sure as heck ain't goin' shoppin' on Black Friday.  I'll do the glue up tomorrow morning.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
This is awesomely detailed. I'm gonna be following this one till the end!!
Nathan

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Good luck with the build, I've been wanting to try one myself. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Not too shabby for a guy from Howard, Pa:) I might just check back myself.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to share this.  I've been contemplating a build like this myself and this helps.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
Like the curved sanding block idea. I make HH style too and it never occurred to me to true the curves in that manner. Been using an engineers square and file to finish them but the curved block would go a long way to smoothing  the curve. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Awesome John!!! I'll be watching too.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Oh yeah, we will be watching from across the pond also. Any chance of seeing the jig on the disc sander used to join the laminations? Bue--.    :)

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I love it!
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Buemaker - The jig on the disc sander is nothing more than a block of wood cut at some angle (don't even know what angle it is)and clamped to the table of the disc sander.  It's a sharp enough angle that I get about 1/4" of gluing surface on a lamination.

So I did the glue up this morning.  Like most everyone I use Smooth-On and mix it in equal amounts resin:hardner.  Two dixie cups of each is more than enough to do a bow.  I remember when I was building my first bow, I was working like a mad man for fear that the Smooth-On would start hardening before I had it all put together.  I soon found out that you have plenty of working time with Smooth-On.

After the Smooth-On is mixed together, I let it sit for about 15 minutes while I get all my other stuff together.  This gives it time for the air bubbles that got in there while mixing to come out.

Here I am spreading the Smooth-On on the laminations.  I use a cheap plastic putty knife for this.  I put Smooth-On on both sides of the lams and I use plenty.  It makes a mess, and a lot is just wasted once the form squeezes it out, but I've never had any issues with voids or streaks under clear glass (not that you'd notice on this bow anyway with the colored glass.)

I'm doing a little bit different design on this bow from what I normally do.  All four laminations are on the back side of the riser and only the belly glass comes up the riser fadeouts.

Here is the glueup setting on the bottom part of the form.  Of course I had a layer of plastic wrap over the form and then another layer over the laminations and riser so I don't glue the bow to the form        :knothead:         On top are my tin pressure strips running down each limb.  The whole thing has packing tape anchoring it to the form so it doesn't move once the air hose is inflated.

Lay on the air hose; bolt on the top of the form, and inflate to 70 psi.  You'll notice some other scrap wooden blocks I attached to the form with screws.  These are important to keep your laminations from spreading as the air hose is inflated.  I put these at the ends of the riser fadeouts and near the limb tips.  I almost lost a bow once when I didn't have the blocks at the tips and the laminations spread and I didn't notice until the thing had cured.  Luckily there was still enough overlap down the center that I still got a bow out of it - Won't make that mistake ever again.

And here is my hot box made from plywood with four 100 watt light bulbs in it. It's lined with 1/2" insulation. After the bow is in there and the lights are turned on, I also cover it with some old blankets for more insulation.  It will get to about 150 degrees and I let the bow cook for about 6 hours.

That's all for now.  I'll get some pics up later tonight or tomorrow moring when I pull it out of the hotbox and form.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Looking sweet, Johnny

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
Nice detailed buildalong John!

I think you're OK, no matter what Ol Roy say.  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Very nice! When Your lams are spliced will all of the splices be in the same spot on Your stack or will they be staggered somehow?

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Looking sweet, Johnny
Roy must still be on a turkey high from yesterday.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments on this build so far.  It's got another hour or so to cook and then we'll see what we got.

bretto - Yes the splices are in the same spot in the center of the riser, but the direction of the splices alternates.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
I could have said, I guess it looks ok:)
And I have a question, what is a Lonbow? :)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Don't you know, it's a bow you shoot in your yard!   :knothead:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
OK Roy, thanks for pointing out that spelling is not my strong point - I corrected it.  I think it was Mark Twain who said that a man is pretty stupid if he can only spell a word one way.

Anyway, back to the build.
I turned off the lights and let the bow cool down and then pulled it off the form.  Lots of plastic and glue boogers to clean up.

So it was back to the oscillating spindle sander to first grind off the boogers and then rough shaping of the limbs.  I like the spindle sander for this because it gets rid of matrial quick with a coarse drum on it.  Again I don't go to the line.

I should have mentioned earlier that I draw the limb width profile on the tape covering the back glass prior to glue up.  It's just easier measuring and drawing on a single flat pice of glass.  If everything stays put during the glue up, I'm good to go.  If things move, then I lay out the centerline and width profile again.  In this case, everything stayed true.

I was happy with the way my glue lines turned out.

Once I got the profile close on the spindle sander, I then used a belt sander clamped to a workbench to get to the final profile.  The spindle sander leaves bumps along the edge while the belt sander smooths them all out.

Now its starting to look like a bow.  Tomorrow I'll start on the string grooves and get a string on it.

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Ya don't suppose those bumps along the side are coming from the Goose Island Bottle? Whatever in the world that is.   :laughing:   Ya gonna put tip over lays on her?
Looking good Johnny Boy:)

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
whats ya dimensions 1 1/8'' at fades down to 1/2'' at nock? would love to have a spindle sander myself. Only got a big disc sander[12''] and a 3''drum sander that runs off my pedestal drill.I know HH used to have all his lams on the back but i like one belly lam with the belly glass.Looking forward to seeing the finished bow, should be a looker!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©