Author Topic: Montana grip  (Read 425 times)

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Montana grip
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
I really like my Bear Montana but the grip sticks.  I would like it modified so it is rounder and fits better in my hand.  I must admit, I am scared to do the work because I don't want to mess it up.  How hard is it to sand/file the grip down?  Do you have to refinish when you are done and how will the factory leather fit on it when it is all complete?  Lastly, is there anyone that does this service and what do they charge?

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana grip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Go ahead and do it.  Just take it slow so you don't rasp away too much.  You will need to refinish it and plain old polyurathane will work fine.  Now the leather will not fit when you're done because obviously your grip will now be smaller.  You may be able to salvage the leather and reuse it, but you'll need to do new stiching on the back.  It might be easier to start with a new piece of leather or suede.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
If your just rounding the grip you can use a "mouse" sander with 80 grit paper, then finish sand with 150 and 220.. Buy a spray can of Minwax Helmsman spar urethane ($8) for your finish. 3 Rivers has several options to replace your original leather grip, a rubber "sure grip" should work or a leather wrap.  http://search.3riversarchery.com/search?p=Q&lbc=3riversarchery&uid=225192233&ts=custom&w=*&isort=globalpop&method=and&view=grid&stateid=s2C12A22C1C3omJseP&modaf=rn:cat3:bows_bowacc essories_bowgripsmaterial

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
Do I unstring the bow or keep it strung while doing this?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Unstring bow. Removing wood weakens that area of your bow.. are you just wanting to round the edges off or are you wanting to get more of a low medium wrist grip? I have held a Montana but have not shot one..I thought the grip was a little blocky too, they are good bows. You might be able to do what you want by using strips of 120 grit 2 inches wide and use a shoe shine stroke to round edges

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Check your progress while reshaping with the bow strung.  You want to be able to "feel" the changes you are making with the bow in use.  I shape the handles on almost all of my selfbows with the bow strung so I don't change the position of my hand on the grip unkowingly.  The "heavy" work should be done unstrung but the final bow hand repositioning should be done with the bow strung. Remember that the leather grip will add thickness back to the handle so you will want to wrap the leather around in the process so you get the feel that you want which may mean taking more material off.
Don't be afraid of doing it yourself.  Nothing better than "customizing" a piece of your own equipment yourself.  Good luck!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
There is a reason for the shape of the Montana handle, just as there was a reason why Howard Hill liked a rectangular handle, most people shoot them more accurately.  That being said, for me there isn't that much difference with my shooting so all my bows have a rounded handle because they are more comfortable.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©