Author Topic: Skin Along  (Read 740 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skin Along
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
for the limited amount of skinning that i have done- this is what i do to eliminate the "wrap" marks.
glue the skin on- work it as much as i can with my fingers- cover with a single layer/strip of saran, then lay down a strip of camping pad foam( closed cell foam)- about 3/8" thick and just slightly wider than the bow- the softer the better- as it conforms to all the shapes. if there is a real bad hollow i use a small chunk of appropriatly shaped foam- and fill the hollow under the foam strip- and then bandage, carefully- making sure i dont twist it. i do one clockwise wrap and 1 counter clockwise wrap, helps with reducing twist. then i still kinda work it a little through the bandage with my fingers- seems to work the best for me.
on. one might even try a very hi density open cell foam(bed mattress foam).
dont forget to tape the sides- saves a lot of work.

that sure is a whole schwack of skins you have there- lotsa snakes in your area?
reminds me of south africa!!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
Like I said, I have skinned a bunch of bows. If you spend about 20 minutes doing this on each limb wrapping is unnecessary.

I have never had a skin shrink as it dries and pull away from the limb no matter how many humps and bumps I have on a bows back. When I get done with my thumbs, the skin is in place, the glue is starting to cure and the skin isn't going anywhere.

The only time I had a problem with a skin not adhering to a bow limb was when I put a set of skins on a bow that had been salted. The friend that gave them to me didn't know they only needed to be air dried, the salt wasn't visible. It took me a few minutes to figure out why the process wasn't going as planned.

I pulled the skins back off, took them to my laundry sink and washed them for about 30 minutes.

My next attempt at sticking them to my bows back went perfectly.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Eric, do you wrap when you do thicker "skins" like rawhide or heavier fish skins.
the only skins i have done are heavier fish skins- and i have treated them like rawhide- and wrapped. but maybe that was unneccesary to wrap??
thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©