Author Topic: Copying a 59 Kodiak?  (Read 308 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Copying a 59 Kodiak?
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
So I'm a guy who just likes to make his own stuff. I've been making my own TD recurves for about 12 years and it's all I've used since rolling my own. I also make my own knives, arrows,strings, fletching, do my own taxidermy, butchering etc. I've always had a desire to own shoot hunt with a 59 Kodiak. Now that Bear brought it back out I've just fell in love all over again with that bow. I've never sold a bow, knife or anything else I've made just to be clear ( have donated to St Judes auction though) so I'm not out to make money on this venture. My question  has anyone here ever tried to copy this bow? Any help suggestions or tips. I presently have in my possesion a  borrowed  original  59 Kodiak in 64" amo at 45lb but I'd much rather make a 60" bow. Anyone have a idea if I shorten this design by 4" how much weight I'd gain?
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Copying a 59 Kodiak?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
I have'nt had a lot of experience with recurves but on hybrid r/d bows I get 2.5 to 3 lbs increase with every inch removed so I bet you'll gain 10 to 12 lb increase on 60 inches.
Are ya planning on changing the riser only and leaving the limbs alone?

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Well got some time this weekend to shoot and study this 64" Kodiak. Bottom line is I'm more commited to making a replica of this bow and hunting with it the rest of my bowhunting career. It shoots really well was driving tacks in the garage. Extremely smooth but that was probably due to the 64" length. I swore it wasn't drawing the 45lb but scaled it and it was dead nuts on! With all that said it did have a litte hand shock but if you didn't look for it you proably wouldn't have notcied it.Got me to thinking or wondering just how well this bow would do with a skinny UC string? I know I was completely satisified with my bows till I used a skinny UC string MAN WHAT A DIFFERANT BOW!

In the end I've deciced I just can't get use to the 64" length and will continue my search for a true 60" amo and go from there! So the quest begins!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Did they make a 59 in 60" ?  

You would have to keep the curves at end of limbs and shorten the part near the riser. Or so I would guess!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
Yes Bear is actually reintroducing such a bow in only 60". I guess they aren't keeping up with demand which is a good thing! HUGE back orders.  After alot of researching evidently the 64" model wasn't a popular model and rarely made. It was made for a longer draw length.

Kenny you of all folks probably know I'd be way ahead to just buy the new Bear replica after the time labor and materials etc of making a bow considering all the costs. BUT I just like to make my own stuff. With that said I will be placing a order from  you for materials when the time comes. All the stuff I've ordered from you in the past have been top notch!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 06:41:00 AM »
Or if you can get your hands on a new 60" to measure just a bit... just sayin!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Good luck finding a 60" bow to copy, saw your post in classifieds. I also sent you a PM.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I would start out by reducing upper and bottom limb by an inch each just below where the recurve starts then reduce the handle by 2".  This should be a very close to the 64" your going to get.  Your working part of limb should remain about the same.  This also might work with the hand shock your talking about.  You might even try adding a half inch to riser to shorten that working limb.
Good shooting,
Dave

Offline strungstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Have you seen these?
 http://vintageworksbows.com/index.html
May be another source for info.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©