Author Topic: Tree!  (Read 262 times)

Offline brianvanh

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree!
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
So a friend of a friend has a small parcel of land that he let me bow hunt this year.  While I was on the place, I noticed 2 hedge apple (osage orange) trees.  One is half dead but still has some very good (live) wood on it.   The other is on the back of his property in great shape.

Anyway, he said that I could have both.  I've never built bows out of osage but I'm excited about the prospect of getting all of this wood.  That said, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff.  Up to now, I've been building bows out of kiln dried wood.

My question - any tips on how best to do this?  My assumption is that you cut logs longer than 72" (obviously).  Then quarter the logs and seal them?  What to seal them with?

Looking for any and all feedback on what to do here.  Also, are certain sized logs better than others??

Appreciate the help.

Brian
If man evolved from apes, then why are there still apes?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Don't look over the dead stuff guys make bows our of fence post that have been in the ground for 50 plus years.

Don't forget to take the bark and sap wood off and seal the backs also.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
72 is plenty long, seal the ends as soon as the cut is made. Shellac, carpenter glue, things like that. 8 to 10 inch logs are sweet, but get whatever you can. Store them outside, off the ground, and out of the weather for a month or so. Spray them for bugs every week or two. If you remove the bark and sap wood, then seal the back of the stave also.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
Click on pic for a short slideshow on splitting. Dont forget to seal the ends and treat for woodborer bugs on the barkside if you leave the bark on until cured.

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline brianvanh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Helpful slideshow, thanks!

So, what kind of bug spray do you use?  Do you spray the wood itself or just around the storage area?
If man evolved from apes, then why are there still apes?

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Get a spray that kills wood borer bugs, spray the entire stave and surrounding area wouldn't hurt.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Excuse my spelling but it is something like "Miathilon" but about any insecticide would work. I simply spray the bark side. If you remove the bark and whitewood under the bark you don't have to spray for bugs just be sure and seal the back well with shellac or othr sealer.The woodboroer wasps lay their larva on the bark and it drills down inot the wood creating swiss cheese out fo your wood in a very short time.

Here's another slideshow start to finish

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Staves take a least one year per inch of thickness to air dry. You can rough out a couple of bows from the fresh green wood, seal them all over with shellac and air dry in less than a year or fast dry in a hot attic or hot box with light bulb(s) in a couple months.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©