Author Topic: Got some staves!  (Read 623 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got some staves!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
WOW, that's what I call nice growth rings, Charlie.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks Roy.  This one log has been the best one we have ever found for sure.  All this wood came from a low lying area that held water a lot, so the growth rings on all the osage was pretty uniform.  Kind of anxious to see how a bow turns out from it.  Just got to decide what kind of lay out I want to use, and get going.  Marvin makes all his self bows the Torges Style, and makes a great bow by the way.  I want to make equal limb, and more of  a flat limb design.  Just have to see how it goes.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Nice staves! I love the shop! Jawge

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
That shop looks about perfect... the Osage on the other hand, looks a little too straight   :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I used to do the Deans style on my bows, but now I make all my bows with equal length limbs. I feel they balance just as well  in the hand and seem to tiller a lot easier. But WTH do I know? :)

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Roy, I like an equal limb profile better myself, but will have to say, that the bows that Marvin makes like the Dean style, do shoot and shoot good.  I will be working on my profile shortly and see what I can come up with.

All my bow will be in the 40-50 lb range hopefully, so any dimensions and lay out suggestions would be very helpful.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
3/4 wide handle area, 1 1/4 wide at flares, hold that 1 1/4 width out 6 inches past the flares, then a straight taper to 1/2 wide tips. Taper thickness from 1/2 at flares to 3/8th at tips.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©