Author Topic: Bamboo.  (Read 1078 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo.
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I was bending a thin piece of  natural bamboo around one of the fades in the riser when I pushed a bit too hard in one spot and cracked it up the middle for about 4 inches. I filled the crack with super glue and I was able to clamp it in place without a problem. I left it like that for a day and it was ok, but when I was removing the clamp, I put my thumb in the wrong spot again and it cracked a bit farther up, but not in the repaired area. I filled it with super glue and the crack is closed, but now I wonder if I should even use this lam in the bow.
This bow is only dry fitted and not yet glued up. Any thoughts?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in and reckon that if it was a glass backed bow then it would probably be ok as any stresses are either in extension or compression and not laterally. Sort of like the glass and epoxy holds it in place and it would be highly unlikely to be able to 'spread ' under the glass and other lams.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
Hi David,is this a glass bow?I had this on an all wood bow that i built but it showed up after glue up.But anyway,IMHO i wouldent take the chance.A person spends to much time and money building a bow to take a chance in using materials that your unsure of.I know if it were me and i used the piece of bamboo and it gave me a problem i would be very unhappy with myself for not just replacing it in the first place.But im always thrilled even if i have to get another piece when a bow turns out the way i intended it to.I also agree with bigbob.But if there was any doubt in my mined i wouldent chance it.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Sorry guys. I should have mentioned that this is an all bamboo tri-lam. It's one of the belly lams that has split. I kept thinking about it last night and I was going to replace it. Even if it glued up ok and didn't cause any more problems, it might show in the finished bow and I don't want that.
Thanks for your input.   :thumbsup:  
Dave.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Woodcarver, what are the thicknesses of the three lams?
I've only seen pics of one all boo bow, but this is interesting.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Red, this bow is a bit of an experiment. It might come out a bit light, but I just want to see what happens, then adjust for my next one.
The back and belly are natural boo that's just over 1/8" thick, tapering to 1/16" at the tips. The centre lam is also natural boo planed both sides to 1/8" and I made a jatoba power lam 26" long by 3/16" thick. The riser is a nicely figured piece of walnut 14" long and the bow is 1 3/8" wide, tapering from full width at the ends of the power lam to 1/2" at the tips. I might thin down the tips a bit for looks later.
I don't know if it's a great idea to use a planed piece of natural boo for the centre lam, but I figured that being sandwiched between the back and belly it should be ok. Other all bamboo bows I've seen were made of only a back and belly lam and the lams were thicker.
I almost forgot to mention, I took my blowtorch to the belly lam and toasted it black. I also singed the back for looks.
I'll post pictures after I glue it up. Right now I'm heading out to the garage to prepare some more bamboo to replace the belly lams.
Dave.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
I've been working on this bow for a bit now and it's coming along. I have a question though. I've done a bunch of sanding and the bows width is now 1 5/16" and it's 2" from back to belly through the riser. I'd like to cut a shelf into the riser, but I'm not sure if it would be safe to cut to center. I'm aiming for a finished weight around 55#. The minimum weight allowed for moose hunting here is 49# so I don't want to fall below that.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I wouldn't chance it.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Maybe I'll cut in a shallow shelf then. Roy, you missed your chance to get in a long distance thumpin! all you had to do was say "yeah that's a good idea" and the bow would have done your work for you.   :)  
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I didn't wanna see the bow get hurt:)
Why ya wanna cut in a shelf Dave? Ya looken for closer to center shot ya big sissy pants? LOL

My yew bow has the widest handle of any bow I've ever made and it shoots better than a lot of my other bows.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:00 PM »
Here are some pics of the bow so far.

I don't know what they've done to photobucket but it stinks now. People can't leave well enough alone.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
That is sharp dude. On photobucket in the upper right hand corner is a little link that lets you switch back to the old photobucket. I never tried it yet but might. Ya know as wide and deep as that bow is ya might get away with cutting in a little shelf.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
That is the old photobucket. it's buggered as well. Where it used to take a few seconds to re-size a picture and post it, now it's a fight and some come out big while others come out small.   :banghead:  
Anyway, I'm glad you like the bow. It's a candidate for the swap.
Dave.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
That kicks a**. I don't even think twice about cutting a bow to center. I do it all the time. If your riser is 2" thick you're good to go. Just make sure you've got at least 1/2"-3/4" of width remaining in the sight window portion of the riser.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm thinking of going in 1/2". That will leave a bit over 3/4". The 2" of thickness includes the riser and lams. Back to belly.
Dave.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Well, I was showing this bow to a friend today and I decided to string it up. I got out a string that's 3" shorter than the NTN length and put it on. I was shocked to find a hinge in the upper limb, just shy of midlimb and just past the end of the power lam. In the larger picture above, the hinge is to the left of the node at the edge of the table, about midway between the nodes. You can just see where the power lam ends.
I'm at a loss as to how to fix this one. Up till now I had been using a slightly longer string and the limbs were both bending exactly the same. I had been tillering by scraping and sanding at the edges only, so that I don't take away the bamboo belly. I can't use the gizmo on it because of the natural boo belly.
Any ideas?
I hope this one isn't firewood.  :pray:  
Dave.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Have you been tillering by removing material from the belly?
It sounds like where the power lam ends there is,too much transition. The only way to fix it is to remove wood from the belly from each side of the hinge. Then even out on the other limb.
Probably keep you from hitting weight.
I'm wondering if having the power lam that long caused the problem in the main working section of the limb.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Dave,
The bow looks great.  Bet it shoots good too.  :thumbsup:

Offline CardboardDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Pictures of the bow strung? I have done two with bamboo bellies and other than scraping from the sides you can "knee tiller" any stiff spots out, but I don't know about hinges. Unless the rest of the limb is too stiff causing the hinge.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
David, wait till you see that hinge! You might have a change of opinion. I'll have a couple of pics in a few minutes.
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©