Author Topic: 2013 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 43584 times)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #1500 on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I don't see a problem with the handle improvement.  I would probably do something with the white back.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1501 on: March 21, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
Sorry to see that Joe!!!

OK this one stays in the white............  Going to wait a bit and see how my other candidates turn out???

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1502 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Well I got back from my trip and I won't get into how it went but I am still sick if that is any hint.  Hey everybody if anyone ever ask you want a drink of coconut water SAY NO!!!! lol...

you all have been busy little bees while I have been gone.  Great looking bows being made.  Well done to everyone.  They all look great

Sorry to see that about your Joe..I got a question.  What kind of horn is that??  If it was deer horn did you get into the middle of it that is a little soft.  I've had to change how deep I made my string groove because of having them break in the groove like that, but haven't had one get into the bamboo though.  I do hate to see that about yours.

Offline Millhimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1503 on: March 21, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
D-it is horn block from three rivers.I have used it on glass bows with d97.First time on a bbo.I normally use b-50 on bbo.Guess i will go back to it.I like the feel of dacron better anyway--Joe

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1504 on: March 21, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Damn Joe, that sucks.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1505 on: March 21, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
can't seem to find an answer so I will ask... cure smooth-on at room temp(lams & partial riser), then cook the entire blank with the second(final) riser piece added? I'm just not liking the idea of my victim getting a bow with half the riser super glued together,not the entire bow cured, like I'd prefer it to be.   :dunno:    I suppose a pic would help....but then Roy would have nuthin to complain about   :D

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1506 on: March 21, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
Oh ok.that still sucks that it happened to ya.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1507 on: March 21, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
As far as I know my bow was attempted to be delivered on Tuesday but now my wife decided to throw away my receipt with the tracking number on it so I have no idea what's going on. Fantastic!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1508 on: March 21, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Goobersan ya gotta give ol Roy something to complain about otherwise he won't be able to sleep tonight...This might not be what your asking but whatever temp I cure smooth on the first time (usually 150-180 degrees) I do not go over that temp any other time if I need to cure something.  First time 150-180, second is usually around 100-130ish.  That may not be what your asking but thats just how I do it.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1509 on: March 22, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
I second that 'D'. when doing the deflex/reflex with multiple glue lines I do the first at 60c then reduce it for every glue up after that [ sorry about the celsius temp, its what we use over here.]

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1510 on: March 22, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »
D & Bob, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll knock the temp down 20 degrees F or so on the second trip thru the easy bake oven of mine. There, now we are sure to get a comment or two out of the old guy.  ;)
Thank you gentlemen !!

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1511 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I can't give that old guy too much greif I'm pretty sure he was the one that taught me about the temperature thing. lolol  I think he was anyway..he has helped me so much on so much that I have almost lost track.  He's a wise ol codger.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1512 on: March 22, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
One other thing I try to leave it in the hotbox a little longer each time as well to compensate for the lower temps.Say 'D' have you had a few shots with the bow?

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1513 on: March 22, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
No sir I have not.  I spent one full day of my trip laying in the bed and still haven't gotten my strength back up yet.  Been pretty dehydrated.   But ya know what my friend I believe I'm gonna get off the couch right now and give her a go.  I have showed it to some friends and everyone has liked it a lot.  You done a fine job.  I'm going to shoot I'll be back in a bit.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1514 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I laminated my riser and then laminated the glass overlays on using the same oven and temp.  It worked perfectly.  Your glass for limbs is epoxy and you heat it above its creation temp to make a limb and it does not effect it.  Once an epoxy is 100 percent cured I don't know what temp it takes to hurt it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1515 on: March 22, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
About 20 shots is all I can manage at the moment and I tell ya what Bob its a quick son of a gun.  I shoot a 600 grain arrow and it was spitting them really well.  I'm VERY impressed with it.  Pleasant "thump" when its shot too.  Hey what kind of string is it??  I really am pretty sure its faster than anything I've made for myself so far.  I'll get some more pics when I get a photographer to get some full draw and shooting.  I wish I had a chronograph I'm really curious to see what the FPS is.  Bob I really like it very much I can't thank you enough.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1516 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Well I hqvent heard from my recipient and have no way to check on the bow anymore without the tracking number but if he didn't get it I guess its on its way back to me now. Not sure what's going on.   :banghead:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline whossbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1517 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
D are you no fast enoughto take the picture

Offline CardboardDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1518 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by DVSHUNTER:
Well I hqvent heard from my recipient and have no way to check on the bow anymore without the tracking number but if he didn't get it I guess its on its way back to me now. Not sure what's going on.    :banghead:  
You've got me looking everywhere... even at the neighbors   :biglaugh:  

Seriously though, that sucks. Hopefully they have it and are just haven't posted yet. This is one reason why I buy my postage online, you always have the tracking number. You can try to look back in your browser history from the last time you tracked it, I have done that before, you jut have to click "resend" when the popup appears.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1519 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Yeah I tried that, but my phone hides the old tracking number and won't just go to the page from history. I hope he got it. I only had one update that said attempted delivery and that they retry three time xbefore sending it back to me. I guess time will tell unless they lose it on the way back! I've been lucky with the good ole USPS.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©