Author Topic: 2013 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 42902 times)

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah same here If your looking to do a take down mystery builder... I sure do need one!

Wow Shawn the start gun went off and you were already waiting for us at the finish!!!  Looks good.
Javier

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Well I am leaning towards making the very best shooting bow I can.  Which leads to black glass verses clear over some pretty venier.  Want to get all the bang I can in the core.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Thanks I already had that riser glued ready for lay up.  I glued it late last night and cleaned her up this morning.  First time with carbon.  It's quick and quiet but I missed my weight.  So ill put it on the rack and finish it later.

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: January 14, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »

Here are 4 different staves in different stages.  Each has it's own unique flair about them.  It's just figuring out which one will fit the best.  Spent my lunch break scraping away at the stave that isn't a blank yet trying to make up my mind.  Who knows I may end up snapping them all before I'm done.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Goose, I'd like the last one.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Goose, we all know you're a marvel with them kinda sticks! You ain't foolin' nobody!

Yep, I'm finding it hard to find anything out about my victim, too. Guess they'll just have to get whatever I can dish up.  :bigsmyl:  

Tell you what, though, I am gettin' a hankerin' to try one of them laminated glass bows. The one Jarrod Moffit sent me last year shoots nice and looks purty. Maybe I'll try to build one when I grow up.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Yes!  Finally got my name:)  Now... what shall i build?  Got an osage stave begging to be a recurve, and some nice elm waiting to become a screamer.  Whatever it is, can't wait to push my limits   :D

FYI:  whoever has my name i ain't too picky. My posts might paint me as anti glass.  I'm not, just not into building them.  So build what ya wanna (which you were probly gonna do anyway)   ;)
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
I like the peep sight stave Goose! !

Got a little more info on my victum...   Hmmmmmm!!!!!

Got some Hackberry, Osage, Hickory...  Got a nice Vinemaple an a few mystery woods...   or maybe something I' ve never tried berfore....  going to study a bit more still on the job so i can't start anyway....  Hmmmmmmmmmm

Man I have a fat thumbs...  they say people text and drive!!!  I'm finding it tough to text this post and breath!!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Goose have ya ever made a plane Jane bow? You always have the coolest staves.

Kip I hope ya didn't get any ape arm shooters again this year. Us 6'5" guys have a nice advantage that we can easily make any draw length bow without having to reach out of our comfort zone, but I have to say you did me good last year!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
Glad to hear you all are stalking with success. I ain't got squat!!! Guess I will leave it up to what I would want out of a bow... snakey, skinned and smooth shooting....

Goose I like the stave with the whole dead nut in the middle!!! Then when you hold the bow up you can still peer through... peep hole!

Finishing up a board bow trade for PA then I can't wait to show you guys the stave I have in store... Pearly boy gave me two and I think this one is fitting to passing on!!

Off to run radar while looking at TG... tough I know lol

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
I think just by looking at all that bow wood and supplies, its going to make me move back to the lower 48...

Alaska is a great place, but it definately is lacking in some areas...

The looks a person gets when you ask the local hardware shop if they carry a spokeshave or even a cabinet scraper...
Almost funny...
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Lol kev that's what them interwebz is for!
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Kevin, if you have an old handsaw that you don't use or care for, you can use it to make cabinet scrapers. It has to be an old saw though. the cheap new ones are made of crappy steel and only the teeth are hardened. You can use a dremel or angle grinder to cut out whatever shape scraper you need, then file the edge and burnish it.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Were we told in our PM if the person we are shipping to is a first timer and if we have to wait till they ship before we ship to them?

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Goose, those staves really make a guy want to give up glass

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
I started messin with a stave after lunch yesterday and this is what I found. Small pin knot on the back

Belly side after about 45 min of shavin and some rasp work.... It's 11/2 long and way to deep to make weight. I had plans for Osage anyway....this was a warm up stave.

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
hey Goose let me know if you need any back ups i have a pile for you and Will.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Olin, I am sorry that happened. I guess its a good thing you are getting an early start on the swap.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
My stalking hasn't revealed much either.  I'm gonna start with an osage bow that I have partially done and waiting for my recepient's specs, hoping it would work out.  Has a knot and a little snake in it, should make a nice bow, if I don't screw it up.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Texan, was that hackberry?  I've had some problems with those type of knots in hackberry.  Good luck with the osage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©