Author Topic: 2013 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 42901 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by rmorris:
Goose have ya ever made a plane Jane bow? You always have the coolest staves.
I've made a few BBI and HBI but it's therapy to work on staves like this for me. Don't ask my why because I don't know  :D

Originally posted by goobersan:
Goose, those staves really make a guy want to give up glass
You mean staves like those make a guy really want to START up glass haha   :biglaugh:
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
I'm planning on an osage board bow with bamboo, or hickory backing. But this afternoon I dug out two decent osage staves I had split a couple of summers back and a hickory stave.

I think the hickory will be for my son's frat bro.

While waiting on the boards to be delivered I may debark and chase a ring on the osage.

I am not finding much on my victim. Reckon I'm not much of a 'creeper'.

Wonder if they'd like an osage static recurve? Never tried a static 'curve. Like their looks, though. Seen some good'uns on here and PA.   :saywhat:  

Any suggestions, or advice?

Offline whossbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
I just hope the one i make is worthy of such an adventure

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by talkingcabbage:
Got my name and now I'm stuck!  Spent all morning stalking my prey and still don't know what I'm gonna do    :help:    

What do you build a guy in glass that only does wood bows?  Maybe I'll just have to find some nice burly curly something with the nicest wood?     :dunno:  
I'm with Al Dean...... gonna build the best bow that I'd love to shoot n show off. Keep your eyes peeled cuz these buggers talk ALOT, Still gettin intel on  my victim.  I'm going to build two bows, just in case I get picky. Maybe try a recurve or 2-piece

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Been giving the swap bow some thought. Usually I can come up with plan of attack. So far all I've got is the wood picked out. Not sure on what I want it to look like when its done. Tried to get the lowdown on ********************** but didn't come up to good. Just goning to let the juices flow for awhile.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
That's pretty much where I'm at Goob. I'm prob gonna make two, a recurve, and I've really been wanting to try a two piece longbow. So I'll pick out some nice wood and try to make a good lookin shooter.

I need some advise here though. I've got some sturgeon skins I'm thinking about putting on a glass bow just for looks. Do I do that the same as with a wood bow, using TB III, or should I use something else? Also, what kind of finish do I use on the skins to make sure it doesn't flake or otherwise wear off?
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Ralph I hope I can get  a lighter bow out of it later or maybe a short one.... If I get lucky it might make one 56" or so. Yes Dan it's Hackberry and most knots I see in them look pretty much like this or worse. Hope to get a few hours in this week on some Osage.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
And for whoever got me -- I know I don't post a lot, but I like just about anything. A snakey wood bow, skinned or otherwise, or a nice glass bow is cool. I really like them all!
Joe

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I haven't done the rekon on my recipient.... I just hope they don't mind some character...   :goldtooth:

Offline KeithG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
worked on 2 hickory staves tonight. I started on one during the holidays. Fliped tips a couple weeks ago on one and laid one out tonight.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Dang this thing is moving along so quick already...but I remember last year it shot out of the gate hard for about a month and then setteled down to a much slower pace. lol  

Goose all those staves look awsome.

and to whoever got my name.....I like it...doen't matter what it is or what its made out of I like it..lolol

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I wasn't able to get much info on my recipient either so I'm going to try for a couple of shooters and hopefully, I'll learn something about ******** in time to decide what to send.
As for myself, I'm still fairly new to trad archery so all types of bows are an adventure to me. Last year I got a cool  copperhead backed osage selfbow from David Flanrey. I had her out in the snow a few days ago, but all I could find to shoot were stumps.   :)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline chachamooby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Finished tillering a bow tonight but it came in light.Will make a nice bow for my wife though   :)
I think I'm going to try to make my first glued up bow. A hickory backed ipe.
I bought enough materials for 3 bows------probably gonna take a couple of tries to get one that I'd deem nice enough to give to my recipient. That's cool though. I want to make one to keep anyway. Looks like plenty of info on this site to try and make a successful one. Wish me luck, I'll probably need some help in here somewhere.

Offline mjwhitby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
First off I would like to say how honored I am to join in the swap this year. I've been a member here for a year or so and have learned so much about bow bowyering. I gotta admit its a little intimidating trying to build a bow to the caliber of what gets posted here! I just hope the one who gets it enjoys it.

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by wood carver 2:
Kevin, if you have an old handsaw that you don't use or care for, you can use it to make cabinet scrapers. It has to be an old saw though. the cheap new ones are made of crappy steel and only the teeth are hardened. You can use a dremel or angle grinder to cut out whatever shape scraper you need, then file the edge and burnish it.
Dave.
I am good for tools, I have a gent in Oregon, "Gary Crabaugh" that helps out a bunch...but I still go in and ask, mostly just for the deer in the headlight reactions...
What gets to be a pain is shipping glues and finishing supplies to Alaska...paying the hazardous materials fee is outrageous.
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
Ok guys need your opinion... it could be your own fate   :campfire:  
   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37170  .0.html

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
Soy, all I can say is WOW! What a stave! If that were to show up on my doorstep just like it is with those skins I'd probably wet myself! I personally wouldn't change a thing about it. I like the dark/light combo. Go for it!
Joe

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: January 15, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
ditto

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Soy that stave will make any snake look GREAT!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Now that's a snake! Someone will just love that!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©