Author Topic: 2013 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 42920 times)

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by whossbows:
Thats cool right there
That bull was standing in the front lawn...but it would be cool if it was my new bow testing target..
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Sure it's cool if you can just leave your target set up in the yard, but setup and takedown is a real pain. Once you take those antlers off the first time they are gonna look funny every time u try and put em back on. It'll be worse than a mckenzie broadside buck. And u might as well forget about trying to jam that rebar up into his legs to get him to stand up. Then when u figure in how costly and time consuming it is to replace the midsection when it gets shot out...

Hey guys wouldn't it be awesome if a real moose would just come up and stand right in the flower bed like that? Oh man that'd be hillarious.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Kevin that is cool. I was stationed at Ft Rich from 97-01 and I had a rose bush out front in government quarters that I never trimmed due to a cow that would trim it every winter.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Not three months ago my son and I brought my turkey target inside the house from where it usually sits in the back yard.  The next morning my son looked out the window and informed me that my target was back outside.    :confused:   When I looked, there sat a tom in nearly the exact same spot that my target had been sitting.   :)   Turkeys are well-trained critters here in Nebraska.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
That is the only moose I saw during the whole hunting season..it rained so much during te season that creeks that could be crossed without making a splash, were 8-10 feet over their banks. Spent two days walking, came home, the darn critter was looking at me when I came out to bring the gear into the house.

Almost funny..

Psychmonky..now...your post..that was funny..
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
Kevin if'n I had critters like that in my yard I'd never gripe about having glue or finish shipped in, Heck I'd even give up the thought of ever finding osage..... Well maybe I wouldn't go that far LOL
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Troy, I grew up in Australia where just about every snake you meet can kill you and a mother who would passout at the sight of a snake. We saw one, we got rid of it fast before the hysteria began. Dad had a piece of garden hose attached to the end of 2' of broom handle. One whack with that and off came the head. Boy you would get in trouble for doing that now.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
10 days until Kalamazoo. Maybe I'll find something there for my swap bow. Sure like those medallions Tony made.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Man thought I'd have some time on my day off to let some wood fly but honey Dooooooooooooo's .... arggggggggggggg!!!
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Razorback trouble is an understatement! Up to $20,000 fine if caught killing a snake! Cant even use a roadkill one for backing as its illegal to even have a dead one in your possession.That's why I'm so envious of all those beautiful skins on the bows.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Bob is that all of Australia??? ...  and all snakes?????
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of those restrictions Bob.  So is it legal for someone to send you a snake backed bow from out of country or all imports subject to the same overreaching laws?

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
that does bring up a good question that pertains to the swap: Can you even own a skinned bow?
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I received a beautiful rattle snake skinned juniper from Keenan in my first swap. Man I'd hate to think that beauty couldn't have been created!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Bob,
Didn't realize it had gotten that bad. I would suggest that anyone sending a bow overseas refrain from adding animal products to the bow, especially skins. Many countries have strict laws about the use of animal products. I believe they ere on the side of caution with the exploitation of endangered animals. instead of trying to determine what is endangered they just ban any export or imported product. Safer that way.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
That just plain ol sucks.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
I really dont know the law re bows coming in already  backed with snake skins, and know some guys have got bows in from the states with skins on, and have seen plenty advertised on fleabay coming from China. Perhaps if they run into a zealous officer then it would pay for them to have a copy of their import manifest.Far as I know its illegal in all states here to kill a snake.We just happen to have about half a dozen of the most venomous and deadly snakes in the world here too!

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
***What do y'all think about everyone trying to post a starting point picture of what they have?  I know I love the pictures that I see.***

With life moving and shaking all around me I figured I better take most/all of my free time and devote it to working on a bow.  Here is the profile and it's bending just not much.  The limb that looks reflex deflex is going to be deceiving getting to brace height.  

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Just curious Goose?

Why are you leaving the reflex/deflex in the limb and not heating it out to even things up? I ask because at my pay grade tillering would be much harder with the uneven limbs...  Still learning ")

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I'm stubborn.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©