Author Topic: 2013 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 42857 times)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Only three lefties? What's wrong with the rest of ya'll? Suppressed hand-dominance? It's okay to be left handed, guys!

I'm beginning to understand why the world is so messed up...LOL!

What has been the most rewarding and/or exciting part of the bow swaps for everyone? Receiving or Giving?

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Giving.  Hands down.  Just wish I could actually meet up with the recipient in person to watch 'em shoot it.

Not that receiving isn't good though too.  I've been very happy with the two I've received, they're awesome and have both been well excercised.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline chachamooby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Not having done this previosly, I can't answer which is more rewarding. I can however, definitivly state that I care more about what my recepient thinks of the bow I build them, (hope they like it!)compared to the one I get. The best part about this site is, I get the distinct feeling EVERYONE on here feels the same way. Good group. Good times!

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
For me it is making something for someone who I can only hope will appreciate the effort. I'm no great bowyer so my bows are not the greatest out there by anyone's assessment. It is the joy of giving that drives me. I don't remember once seeing a post by anyone complaining about the bow they got, even though I know not all bows are of great quality.
My second favorite part of the swap is the anticipation. Waiting for the name of your recipient, waiting to get your bow and for me the best, waiting for the post from my recipient once he gets the bow I made him.
I love this swap.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Thadbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I have been thinking that I should make a different design on my riser for this swap so I spent the last two mornings working on the patterns for my sander!  I dug out a smoking pc of curly maple and got everything ready. All that I need now is a name!  :dunno:

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
This is my first swap, but the best part for me so far is how much motivation it is to know that this bow is for someone else. I am already paying more attention to detail and quality than on any bow I've attempted for myself. I want whoever it is to be as proud to carry the bow as I am to send it to them.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks Kelly for the reply and a massive thanks to yourself and sticks for sacrificing so much of your free time to stitch this whole deal together.It is much appreciated.

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
I enjoyed making a bow for someone else. It pushed me to make my best bow today. I also killed a nice doe with the bow I received last year which was really cool. It was also my first trad kill.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
I made a bow for my 36 year old son for Christmas.  I was prettier, better and far more enjoyable to make than any bow I have made for myself.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Pretty much what I thought when I posed the question!
Razorback nailed it. This is my third swap and I don't remember seeing any negative posts about the bows received.
And it is definitely the anticipation of hearing from your recipient that makes the experience worthwhile.
I've also tried to put more effort, detail and care into the bows for someone else. Ain't that a hoot? I've made more bows for other people than for myself.
I agree with canopyboy, as well. I've received two fantastic bows! It's getting tough to decide which to take to camp, so I take both! But so far I've only scored with Keenan's ambush bow.
...Say! I didn't see Keenan's name on the list! Somebody is gonna miss out. Didn't see that Moffit's name either! Am I bad karma for you guys, or what?  :dunno:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
WHEN ALL BOW ARE AT THERE NEW HOMES! That is the best part. Last years is not over just yet.

This list is the name of the bowyer building what they said they are building, and their draw stats.

I post it so yall can double check my work, heck I missed one whole bowyer. But that is better then last I think I missed 3.

Just let stiks know if you see errors. He has the list for now.

Just make the best bow you can and everything will work out great. Just remember don't let **** know when you get there name.  ;)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Also if you have not check page five and ensure your info is correct.

Offline whossbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I can make a rh or left hand.listed as rh

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
During the second swap I had to teach myself to shoot right handed. I guess we do what we hafta!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2013, 05:36:00 AM »
Red the best part of the swap for me has always been pushing myself to do better than the last one and send her down the road.

The whole intention of this in the beginning was to encourage folks to build better bows to the best of their ability and it has been a 100% success.

Seen alot of super sweet bows over the last three years and seen alot of growth in the bow building community here on TG for sure.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Whossbow but you shot right; right. That is all that means is that you want a right handed bow.

Stiks it is a great tradition you have started and I believe this is the 4th annual tradgang bow swap.

This year we have 71 bowyers signed up. That is a great sign up.

Happy building to all.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Put em up, put em up!!!!

Gimeee a name, gimeee da name      :bigsmyl:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I got my name Kip, you didn't get yours?   :laughing:
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Ralph you got a little mean in ya  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Kip, I think we all got our names already. Maybe they're trying to tell ya something    :dunno:

Naw really I think this like one of those "watched pot" scenarios. It will be boiling along nicely before we know it  :)
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©