Author Topic: new to building,  (Read 315 times)

Offline Alastorxx

• Trad Bowhunter
new to building,
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
alright so i just got into archery about 2 weeks ago, but i have already started getting interested in building my own riser for a take down recurve, me and my dad want to make a project out of it but my question is what are some good woods to start with to make a simple riser out of? it doesn't have to be or look perfect just work decent for a first try any help will be nice or some links

Thanks!    :D

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new to building,
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Start by looking through all the info on this,site. There is tons of build alongs etc.
Look at the pictures of all the risers on,everyone's bows.
One of the main things you see is there are very few riser made from one piece of wood.
Most,are glued up with reinforcement such as fiberglass or phenolic.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
I'm getting mine from Kenny Custom Archery.
Great guy to work with, offered me prices and services that I cannot refuse.
I'm getting grey action wood with phenolic i-beam and accent. He'll be gluing and roughing it out for me, for some fee of course. Very pleasant experience talking and getting advices from him. Definitely a class act bowyer and supplier.

Another alternative is rosewood archery.
They sell cheaper woods to start with. You might want to play with hard maple, which only costs $4 per BF. Hard maple shouldn't be too bad a choice, but you might want to an accent strip to strengthen it?
Just my 2 cents.

--Aaron
Aaron

Offline Alastorxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
thanks for the info, i'm gunna read some more, but i was indeed looking at hard maple to start with, just not sure what else to put along side of it, will probably use fiberglass

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©