Author Topic: Looking for bowyer wisdom, new to the art!  (Read 602 times)

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for bowyer wisdom, new to the art!
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
This is my first thread here at tradgang!

I am excited to be part of tradgang, and I am new to the art of bowyering.

I have been looking at materials for building my first several bows, and I had some questions that maybe you wiser bowyers could answer...

What, in your opinion is the best bow hardwood for a recurve (target shooting)?  Yew, I have heard is  very popular.  Is Ibe (ironwood) usable for this purpose?  Are there hybrid tree sources yew/ibe, etc?

I have several design concepts for bows that I would like to turn into real working/functional bows.  Can someone point me in the right direction on how to (or who can) modify the concept bows to functional real-world application?  Thanks!
Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us. ~Socrates

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for bowyer wisdom, new to the art!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Welcome Nathan!  :campfire:  

Are you gonna build  glass bows or selfbows , or board bows?

kenny- aka- not so wise builder.....  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the hardwood Kiri tree?  

Opinions on Teak/Tectona?

Guaiacum officinale (lignum vitae) - reasonable to use?  Opinions?

Goncalo Alves / Tiger ebony (Astronium Graveolens) opinions?
Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us. ~Socrates

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Hi Kenny,
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply!
I believe the self bow is the term closest to what I am looking to build.

The best way to describe it would be a functional concept recurve bow.  Ideally one piece, but because of the custom parts, it may have to be a takedown.  I know my designs would require significant modification to be functional.

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Ipe backed with hockory or bamboo makes a good all wood bow, but it's one of the heaviest woods out there, so if you are going to build with glass you would be better off with something light (so I hear. I'm not much on glass.)

If you are looking at an all wood bow, it's hard to go wrong with Osage. Yew is a great wood, it's just harder to get.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Osage is the best.

Yew is softer but makes a real fine fine bow.

Glass bows are for sissy pants:)

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Hey Roy,

The new guy said he wanted wisdom, so what brought you here  :knothead:  

There I thumped myself for ya,
That Osage is quite pretty, too bad we do not have it up this way.
And do dang bad all the yew and vine maple, and juniper grow on the other side of the state here.

Nothing but a few oaks, and maples for me, oh and apple, cherry and plum.

Welcome to the sight, these guys will do you right on here, OL' Roy is a real smart one, like alot of em on here.

Good luck

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Your ok Frosty, I don't care what Obama says bout ya:)

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
Osage is number one for a selfbow. Ive worked with ipe and beefwood and both of them will make a fine bow but likely will need to be backed with hickory or bamboo. The other tropicals you mentioned I have no experience with. Your best bet is to find yourself an osage stave and get started. Hickory, hackberry, hophornbeam and black locust all make fine selfbows too.

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Psych,
Thanks for the input!  I am looking to make all-wood recurve bows, so that is very helpful.

Do you know of anyone in this forum that is great with design and modifications?  I would really like to take my concepts to a workable design.

I am also interested in rare woods and crossed hardwood for uniqueness.

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
Excellent, that you for all the input gentlemen.  Has Osage been a traditional bow material as yew was?  I'm honestly not too familiar with its history..

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Osage #1.....and some does grow in Virginia. If you can't find or get any you also have elm,oaks,white ash, to add to okies list...also any ornamentals like mulberry,plum,apple,peach,pear....etc....

You should have plenty of trees available to you to jump on in and get your feet wet. Don't try a recurve for your first. Just make a simple bend in the handle bow or pyramid bow and focus on how to tiller the most. Tillering is going to be the hardest thing to learn for you. And by trying the simplest and easiest designs lets you focus more on the most important task if bending wood evenly. There is a lot of good websites and books explaining tillering. Anyone who's never seen a bow can easily figure out how to shape wood,but making it bend correctly takes a whole nother set of skills to master.

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
What qualities make Osage superior to the others you have worked with, okie?  Is it the flexibility of the Osage versus to rigidness of the ipe?

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Black Mockingbird,
Thanks for the advice, duly noted.  I picked up some public domain archery and bowyering books along with designs, I'm sure you know the ones I'm referring to.  My goal is to convert my own 3d designs into functional bows.  The classic recurve will be closest to that, but as you said, it is most likely best to start with more simple bow goals.

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Welcome to the gang! You should find some very useful information and insights on here, so look through many of the threads. There are also several very good build alongs in their own section that will be of invaluable help to your endeavors. Start with a simple design, and that will give you confidence and a small investment to learn tillering (which is the true "art" part of bowyering I think).

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help, many guys on here are very experienced and quick to help. Have fun, and do educate us on some of the species you spoke of earlier, they sound intriguing!
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Welcome, I too would suggest just starting with simpler bows than a recurve. Mainly to learn what tillering is all about.
Osage has many good qualities. Abilities include being bent by heat to straighten or reflex or recurve the ends.
IPE is more rigid and I've never tried to,heat bend it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
What the heck kind of handle is "GodsApocalypse"?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Hey Nathan.  I would highly recommend you read "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible: Vol. I" to start out with.  Check your library, you might get it there.  If not, it's the best $25 or so you'll spend for making bows.  Be warned, there are 3 more volumes you will want.

Also, spend some time reading the threads here.  There is so much knowledge.  Get a good idea about what you want to make and start asking specific questions.  We will help.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Hey Nathan.  What John said X2.  Look at the build alongs in the archives.  The Bowyer's Bible lists the different woods and tells why one is different than the others.

You can order a stave from some of the sponsors here on TG and start making some shavings!  Or go to a lumber yard and start with a board bow.

Lots of ways to skin a cat is what my dad always says.

Offline GodsApocalypse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Thanks again for the encouraging words and information.  I'm fairly familiar with the bowyers bible, just unaware the price was so reasonable!  I will certainly pickup a copy of the four vol.s asap.

Shaun, the handle references John's Apocalypse,    http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/revelation.html    I studied law, philosophy, Bible, and religion at university, and have studied that particular prophecy since 6th grade.  I do want to abide by forum rules; I am offering this information on forum only because it was asked.

If anyone has more questions on these topics, please feel free to pm me anytime, I am happy to share.

I came across stats of specific gravity of hardwoods, but I did not know how the flexibility of certain species play a role in the final stats, and I figured that most bowyers here had tried almost all main hardwood species including tropicals and exotics, so I thought I would ask.

Is it best, for the sake of experience, to start with one of the kits out there?  If so, which do you recommend/prefer?  Experience stories with the kits?

I had been looking through the buildalongs before joining, and I have gleaned much good information and there, thanks for the excellent recommendations!

Also, I am looking for hybrid woods such as Ipe/yew - I know this is only possible depending on how closely related they are, but I am looking for the most effective / strong / unique out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©