Author Topic: final ea40 smooth on wipe down for wood?  (Read 394 times)

Offline lad

• Trad Bowhunter
final ea40 smooth on wipe down for wood?
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
What do you use for the final ea40 smooth on wipe down for wood before applying glue and clamping?
Should clamps be super tight.  Or, should they be snug to allow more glue to remain between wood pieces?
thanks for input.

Offline Millhimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: final ea40 smooth on wipe down for wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Lad-I use acetone right before i apply the glue.Just snug the clamps firmly and use a pressure strip to even out the pressure.You dont want to over clamp it or it will be glue starved and may let go--Joe

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Do not use chemicals on your wood before gluing. You take a chance of drawing more oil out of oily woods. It also may effect the way the glue does its job A fresh sand job brush it with a stiff wire brush and blow clean with compressed air. I use 70-80 psi when gluing up a bow. Dont know how that is compared to clamp pressure. When I use clamps for riser glue ups (C-clamps)I turn them really tight. Just be sure to wet both surfaces well and you will be fine.
High on Archery.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I go along with Crooked Stic no chemicals just nice clean wood, and definetly wet both surfaces.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I have a roll of brown wrapping paper.  I always put down a new piece to work on when doing glue up to insure I have a perfectly clean working surface.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I brush them off with a a stiff bristle brush and wear gloves so that no finger prints get on the glass or veneers.  I do not wipe them with any chemicals.  I also put down brown paper on my glue area prior to glueing.  

Hope this helps ya out.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I either brush off or blow off with clean air.  I use WHITE butcher paper, slick side down, looks more scientifical...  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I have been using a clean stiff bristle nylon brush on the glass,tapers and veneers.. On my clean build bench I put a layer of "contractors paper" down and tape the edges, then a layer of white freezer paper (butchers paper) and brush off the laminations, then I put down a fresh layer of freezer paper and put the lams in order of glue up onto the clean white paper..I don't have an oiless air compressor so I don't use air pressure to clean lams. I use alot of paper but my bench has remained clean of dried glue.. I did have a big roll of pink paper a few years ago..I have castor wheels under my oven,thats my oven under the glue up bench, It's a L shaped bench, I put the form on the right side of bench during glue up ..

Offline lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
very good info. thanks to everyone. I have always used Acetone but do notice the wood releasing its natural color to the acetone rag. Think I will go with stiff brush and clean work area. That is my next challenge. finding a place for everything.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I wipe everything with Acetone.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
I only make Osage and Bamboo bows. I wipe down with Denatured Alcohol. I think Acetone is a bit more harsh. Doesn't matter what ya wipe the wood down with though, you will get some sort of color on the rag.  Never had a problem doing it my way..

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Roy your use of denatured alcohol is spot on. I did a lot of model airplane building and glassing years back. My research on thinning epoxy was that lacquer thinner and acetone actually broke down the molecular bonding in the epoxy thus weakening it. We would use denatured alcohol to thin our epoxies for glassing. Made it flow out nicely and cured a bit longer. Jim G

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
What the heck is that $50 word there Kenny?  :saywhat:    :)
High on Archery.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Kinda made that up!  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©