Author Topic: Silencing my old Bear TD  (Read 298 times)

Offline Platypus

• Trad Bowhunter
Silencing my old Bear TD
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Just got back into target shooting after 30 years.  Pulled my old '70s magnesium "C" out of the bag (38# limbs, although I think my DL is a bit closer to 30") and took it to a local traditional archery club.  Did some searches in the webz; never realized that this was actually a "decent" bow.  I certainly didn't know that as a young man of 13 years old when I bought it.  But after shooting it again, I do like it.  It's in really good shape too.  I'm not selling it.    :p    

Anyway...

Bought some carbon arrows at the club and took a few shots.

"BOING!"  "BOING!!!"  "BOIIIIIIING!!!"

It's loud.  I like the way it shoots, but it's obnoxiously loud.  And it seems to vibrate a bit after the shot.  Now, I'm not very experienced yet, and rusty is an understatement, so maybe I'm off base here.  But there was a guy shooting a samick there (with cat whiskers), and that bow was 20 times quieter than mine.

I do intend to get some cat whiskers, and do the other things that are generally suggested (heavier arrows, adjust brace height, etc.) but my suspicion is that the limbs are vibrating a bit in the clamps.  Sounds that way, and feels that way.  When I instll them, they fit tight enough and have no play, but I still have the hunch that the limbs are vibrating.  I'd like to eliminate the possibility, either way.

Has anyone done anything to add any padding or cushion to the clamp end of the limbs or the riser to tighten them up?  Can you elaborate?

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silencing my old Bear TD
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I know of some guys that will use a thin piece of cork for a pad as well. Try the string silencers first -- you'd be surprised at how much of a difference that'll make. Then go from there if you need.

Joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Platypus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
I guess my real question should have been this:

If I am going to pad the limb connections, should it be between the limbs and the riser body, or between the limbs and the clamps?

Sounds like people are putting the padding between the limbs and the riser body, but I am concerned that putting it there would still allow the limbs to move around, and possibly not be as neatly aligned as they should.

Over-thinking it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©