Author Topic: Questions from another new guy  (Read 316 times)

Offline morerightrudder

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions from another new guy
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Got the bug to build my first bow and have started with a $10 piece of oak from lowes.  I've been following the Backyard Bowyer and so far so good.  It at least looks like the pictures!  My first question is about backing.  I'm thinking with a cheap piece of lumber, backing the bow is necessary.  I've purchased a copperhead snakeshin backing for this and plan to glue later this week. My question is what do I need to be looking for in the stave to identify the top from the bottom given I've not started tillering? Does it even matter? Second question, how quickly should i exercise the bow during tillering?  Ok, Let me have it!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions from another new guy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Read George Tsoukalas' website here om TG. He will tell you everythinhg you need to know about wood bow building.
 Snakeskins are only for decorative backing and not for structure. I made one of my most durable and lasting bows from a cheap red oak board from Lowe's. It ain't the stave, its the bowyer.  
 You should exercise the stave after every wood removal even if it is only an inch or two.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
DO NOT PUT THE SNAKE SKINS ON UNTIL THE BOW IS TESTED AND YOU KNOW IT WILL LAST!!  

Like Pat said, snake skins are for decoration and don't add any protection (unless they are massive pythons).  You put them on after the bow is tillered and shot in.

Copperheads are hard to come by and expensive.  You don't want to put them on and then have the bow break.  Since this is your first attempt at building a bow there is a good chance it will break.  Save the skins until you have a bow that shoots good and you know it will last.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
choose your board right and no backing will be necessary.  jawge's site has great info for board selection.  also i have a series of vids on youtube for making a red oak board bow.

good luck and dont rush it!
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline morerightrudder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the input gents.  Im actualy kind of hoping the bow will break so i can scratch that one off my list.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
LOL rudder, I promise there will be more than one go boom:)

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Like others have already said, don't use those skins on your first bow.  If you really feel the need to dress it up, maybe try these.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Artificial+Snakeskin+Backing_i7049X_baseitem.html
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline morerightrudder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Those are exactly what i got.  Artificial doesnt begin to describe.

Offline morerightrudder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Those are exactly what i got.  Artificial doesnt begin to describe.

Offline kevinbarry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Rudder,I am working on my second red oak bow and I am useing sheet rock tape for my backing.It is ugly as sin but it is cheep and for me cheep is the way to go while I am honeing my skills.
Good enough is not and close enough never is

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©