Author Topic: Hickory bow  (Read 323 times)

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
Hickory bow
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Guys,
I am thinking of building a board bow. I want to put some type of backing, but not sure what.
Where can I buy hickory bow blanks with good ring growth? I don't want a pre tillered or pre cut. I looked at a couple of lumber yards, found nothing that I wanted to put a lot time into.
Thanks,
Z

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Try pine hollow, they are a sponsor here and I think they have boards and backing.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
don't buy the hickory dimensional lumber from 3rivers.  its intended for a backed bow and is not even good for that.  wavy grained, knot filled.  Maple and ash also make good board bows.  If you cant find some good hickory those may be an option.  for that matter, i have had good luck with red oak from hd or lowes.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Do I need to look for quarter sawn or any grain type wood

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Quarter sawn white oak is sometimes easier to find. I have had good success with it. I have heard bowyers with more experience say it breaks after hickory. I have used it for backing material and belly material with success. If you still don't trust it unbacked, you could back it with silk, linen, or rawhide.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Sulphur is 100% right.  Do not under any circumstances think 3 Rivers Hickory is the answer.  Even though expert "Dave" says it can be resawed into backings for heavy weight war bows it's just not true.  

It cannot be sawn into backings nor can it be used for bow building.  Call me and I'll send pictures of the 4 pieces I was sent.  Still trying to get my money back.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Kenny m might be able to help ya...or pine hollow has great lumber. The paste soars n bamboo I get from them have been top notch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©