3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leupold Katmai 6 x 32  (Read 990 times)

Offline J-F

• Trad Bowhunter
Leupold Katmai 6 x 32
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Hi,

Being my first post, I should do a little bit of presentation.

My name is Jean-Francois (J-F, it’s easier) and I am a French (sorry   :D   leaving in England (better!   :saywhat:   at the moment.
I am quite new to bowhunting compare to a lot of you guys, and I like this tradgang forum and the atmosphere of tradbowhunting!!!!!!

Back to the subject:
Bowhunting quite dense areas in France after roe deer and wildboar, I am after a not too heavy low power pair of binoculars.

At the moment I have a 10x25 High Grade from Nikon. This is TOP compact binocular, and you can trust me they are better (the 10 x 25!!) than the Leica (couldn’t compare with Swarovski, neither with Zeiss, but better than Leica, well from my experience and point of you anyway).

But 10x25 is nice in open field, but god in the wood after 1 hour, I am getting sick with them, and at the end I am not using them enough which is a big mistake. 8 x 20 would do better, and 6 x 20 even more I suppose. Problem: we can't find a 6x easely in any trademark.There was a 7 x 30 within Swarovski, but not anymore apparently.

I have heard some nice comments about the Leupold Katmai 6 x 32, but before buying them I would like to know if in your opinion:

1-they are easy to use one handed? Not too small? Not too hard when focussing? (my Nikon is not easy at all one handed whith a glove when you have to focus, which happen quite often with a 10 x in a dense wood!! )

2- they have a “deep” field of view? I know they have a wide field of view (nice!), but it would be really good if they had a deep field of view as well, in order to avoid focussing all the time from 30m to 100m (you can’t really see more than 100 meters in dense areas, often less)

3-as a general opinion, do you like these bino?

Thanks a lot for your help   :thumbsup:  
J-F

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leupold Katmai 6 x 32
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
How are ya over across the water!! I have not used Leupold binos, but have used there rifle scopes and they are top notch(great). Great customer service as well.

You can't go wrong with Leupold.

My binos now are Zeiss 10x40s love these binos.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline nanook712

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Bought my SO a pair of Leupold 6x30 Yosemite for Xmass this year, very pleased with them. They are dog leg style but fairly compact, waterproof, mid weight about 17oz. inexpencive about a 100.00. They sit next to my Nikon 10x40 Monarchs near the window and I have noticed that I grab for the Leopolds more often then not.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
I own and use the Katmai in 8x32.  I love them for archery hunting.  I have more expensive glass but this is my favorite pair of binocs.  When the leaves come down I switch to the Gold Ring 10X42 which are nice but for the price and what you get I prefer the Katmai.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Very few bino makers produce 6 power binocs anymore, but I it is an excellent and in my opinion the optimal magnification for thick woods hunting.  Of course, nowadays, many think that bigger, in this case more power, is better.

10x25 is not a good size for hunting.  The objective lense is too small for 10 power.  They don't transmit very much light, and 10 power in such a small glass is too much to hold still.  That probably accounts for your critique of Leicas.  There's no way that Nikon has better glass, but we all see things differently.  

8x35s or 8x50s would be much better for light gathering, but those aren't compact.  Likewise 10 power glasses are fine for open mountain terrain, but lower power is much better for thick woods.  Though I now use 8x32 Leicas, I also have an old pair of 7x26 Bushnell Custom Compacts that are excellent for hunting in thick woods. (Bushnell also made 6x26 Custom Compacts at one time).  I wasn't aware that Leupold made a 6x32, but it's an excellent combination, and Leupold is a top notch maker.  I'm going to check them out.

Offline johnnail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »
J-F:
Buy them. Mine are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
this is certainly a pointed conversation....

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by J-F:
1-they are easy to use one handed? Not too small? Not too hard when focussing? (my Nikon is not easy at all one handed whith a glove when you have to focus
Hi J-F!

What you said yourself - THATS the reason why I gave up the idea of getting me a Nikon HG 8x32. That "ergonomic ridge" on each side is totally IN THE WAY! I just had a (web) look  at a Leupold 6x32 and it has the same. I would think it wont work one-handed. So, where do you leave your bow then - during the quick look when stalking ...?!?

I would not invest any money here until I was able to get hold of a pair to test it. Good place to go would be a big hunting exhibition where all those optic firms are most likely present with their products.
I did just that two years ago and compared every possible bino thru and fro. Considering money, optics and way of later use (abuse!) I endend with Minox 8x32. Got lucky and shot them - second hand but unused - at eBay for half the retail prize   :)  
They had all the features I wanted AND I was able to focus one handed. They worked also well with my glasses I have to wear. But, what had impressed me much was their possibility of a VERY close focus. You can focus your feet if you like - a veired view, trust me  ;)  Apart from that this is very nice for watching insects etc.
The optic is not as good as Leica, Zeiss or Nikon HG - of course. There is a cromatic aberation or better call it a general blueish hue to the picture. Dont know if this may be at least partly caused by my glasses? Otherwise the view is bright and crisp. I can live with that - for sure!
I would have prefered 6x32 myself, but they are good bino for the money, thats what I wanted to say. And always test them first and get rid of those on your wishlist which will not suit your field needs - even when their optics my be superior in the first place.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
I have a pair of the Leupold Katmai 6 x 32.  I sure like the a lot.  I hunt in pretty thick stuff (esp for pigs).  Ya don't need 10X, ya need a nice wide field.  ya will find ears and feet before ya see a pig.  these 6X gather light well, which is good for the thick cover.  I'm not sure these would make good long range glasses but for tradtional bow hunting where spot and stalk are the rule these are great bino's

rusty

Offline J-F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Thanks a lot for your answers! That's what I call being reactive WAOUU!!

I totally agree with you Falk, the best plan would be to be able to try them along others to compare "general impressions" but unfortunatly it won't be possible because there is not a lot of leupold dealers in England.

Comparing on the field is the best plan: I did compare the leica 10x25 and the Nikon HG 10x25 from a hide, doing bird watching at dusk for waterfowl. It's why I said I was surprised by these compact Nikon HG, because they appeared (to me, so just a personal point of view) a bit brighter. Unfortenatly if the Leica were not cheap, neither were the Nikon HG ;-))

Well, I am gonna take the time to reflect a bit more, but I think I am gonna go for the Katmai 6x32.

Thanks again for your time

J-F

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©