Author Topic: New to bow building....Project idea help  (Read 573 times)

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
New to bow building....Project idea help
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
hi all, I was pondering an idea that I have and and well realized that i do not know how hard it really would be or if it is a good place to start.

I was thinking of building a take down recurve bow or some kind of take down bow.  I thought it mght be easier to make 2 limbs rather than the whole bow but i might be way off base here.  I have nothing for supplies so any help with itsms like materials, how to's, etc that you have would be great.  Also if i should start somewhere else like a solid one piece bow.  

Just a side note don't have lots of money like everyone so any economical ways would help  THANK YOu

ps, I would also like to thank the admin, i had a rough start with the rules and acted out of line and they have been gracious enough to give me another chance.  THANK YOU
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to bow building....Project idea help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Welcome Paul.  Are you wanting to build a glass bow or a wooden bow of some kind?
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Welcome Paul, if funds are a concern I would start out with a board bow to get your feet wet tillering. To build a glass bow and you have no forms, etc, you would be looking at a couple hundred I would imagine. But to make a board bow, you could have a bow for less than $30.00. Below is a link for a board bow build here on TG. Very good reading for a new person wanting to build a bow. But if you want a glass bow, there is a guy on here by the name of Kenny M, he sells everything you need and lives in Mo, maybe not all too far from you. I'm sure he will drop in and give ya his thoughts.  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000122

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Welcome to the Bench Paul.

A takedown of any sort will be more difficult than a one piece bow.  It is easier to glue up a single limb at a time just because it's easier to handle 36" pieces as opposed to 72" pieces, but that's were the ease stops.  It is challenging to get those limbs alligned perfectly on a riser and a recurve in itself is more of a challenge because the limbs are more apt to twist than those of a longbow.  Now I'm sure there are some folks on here that have jumped right in and did a take down recurve as their first bow.  I've built one takedown recurve and have no desire to build another one.

Roy gives some good advice in going with a board bow if costs are a concern.  Assuming you already have the tools the start up cost to make glass laminated bows would still be around $400+ to turn out your first bow.  A board bow will give some experience in shaping the bow and tillering and let you know if this is a hobby you'd like to continue to pursue without much financial investment. (But chances are once you build one, you'll be hooked.)

Don't be afraid to ask question.  There's lots of experience here that's willing to help a new guy out.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Welcome Paul,
are you sure you want to take on this addiction?   :D  

Most of us are on a budget too we just end up giving  up another vise to feed this one. But that being said there are plenty of guys here that will help you with the addiction.

Roy has a good point you can make and break a lot of board bows for what one glass bow will cost to make.  Lot of practice.

And like John said I also think a one piece is the way to start.
John has a great Hill Style Bow build along that would help a lot. The first two take downs I built are pretty much just gathering dust, but I still shoot the first one piece.

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
thanks guys, what kind of wood is a good choice to use?  What kind of bow pattern would be easiest to try out?  What do i need to get as far a tools to get lined up.  I am guessing that I would need to try somthing simple as opposed to complicated and difficult.  thanks for the help, by the way do your shoot carbon arrows off a traditional bow or is that a sin?
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
one other question, what style would be the best for a LONG draw length?  in my compound (oops didn't mean to swear) draw is a soild 32+ with a release (oops not again) so i am guessing a long draw bow that would not explode in my face would be a great idea
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
If you want to jump in on an glass bow I have a print from Bimgham to make a form for a flat bow I don't need it anymore. Just let me know.

If your thinking of a board bow for starters Roy posted a link and he will get ya going in the right direction.

Tools is up to you you can use hand or power, band saws and drum sanders are great but not needed, fades on the riser block will be the hardest without a band saw and drum sander.

Cory

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm guessing your draw length may drop a bit a lot of converts drop an inch or two with the switch, on a glass bow I would say you want a min off 64 but probably 66 or68  for your first.
Board bow, correct me if I'm wrong Roy but probably 70 plus.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
Paul I seriously doubt your draw with a stick bow will be 32. I suggest finding someone who has a glass bow and drawing an arrow and have someone stand beside you and mark the arrow at the back of the bow. The back of the bow is the side that faces the target when you shoot. But your draw sounds like it will be long, maybe 30 inches, so I would make about a 68 inch longbow.
Read this thread in the link below Paul, it will guide you right through all your questions for your first board bow. Red Oak is a good choice and also Hickory.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000122

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
And Paul, if ya ever shoot carbons out of a wooden bow, then we will never talk to ya again. LOL

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
thats what i thought,maybe its in the rules somwhere about unforgivable tresspasses.  is my anchor point going to come forward that much?  i guess with my limited expreince i worried about over drawing traditional type bows and having them blow up in my face
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Paul, the overdrawing part is why you need to know your actual draw length before you start.

You will tiller the bow to bend to your draw length. With board bows that,blowing,up part is sometimes part of reality.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
ooh, a little more excitement in the bow shooting then.  yikes,  would a diferent stle be better on the none blowing up end?
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Mine blew up....
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
If your gonna make em your gonna break em. Nuff said.

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
So are there other threads you cal all point me to for construction of different types of bows, i guess i should really get a look at what all in involved in each before i deside what to just jump into, I have looked and wow there are some awsome bows on here, I think i need a reality check before i start off thanks for all the help guys
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline TallPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
hey guys still looking for a few threads of how to bow building thanks for your help
Paul Roghair
box 96
Kadoka SD 57543
920-312-0428

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Have you found the How to section?
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

Once you've read enough to make a,decision on the type of bow you want to make you can,start in,on asking question on,how to go about it.
The very best thing you could do is find someone close willing to mentor you.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Don't be afraid of building a takedown. You only need one form that is @3 feet long vs twice that with a 1pc. So you need half the materials for your form and hot box or heat strips. This will save you money. Also with a 3 pc you are guaranteed both limbs will have the exact same initial shape. This is more difficult to make happen on a 1pc. You can buy your wedges pre ground from Kenny thus you won't have to sweat riser fades on a 1pc which are tough to grind. It is much easier to assure good glue lines in a 3pc because you don't have to integrate a 2" think riser and feather perfect fades. A 3pc articulates in two spots giving you the opportunity to correct limb alignment and pad angle (by shimming with strips of veneer) until you have achieved perfection. It is very difficult to get the limbs perfect on a 1pc and mistakes can be devastating. The only real tricky part is cutting your limb pads. They have to be square with one another and it helps if they are square in two planes. Use a chop saw or a tablesaw with a jig and its no big deal. And a board bow will be cheap and a good lesson in tillering all wood bows which is tough. Tillering a glass bow is simple in comparison and requires no practice with wood bows as they are night and day different. Tillering glass is WAY easier. Just my $.02 good luck.

Bonner

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©