Author Topic: sanding sealer  (Read 360 times)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
sanding sealer
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
What have you gentlemen found to be the best sanding sealer?  One that fills the pores with the least number of coats, drys quickly and  seals oily woods.

Offline Millhimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sanding sealer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Super glue.I sand most of it off with 220 grit sandpaper.Makes the blemishes stand out so you can see them-Joe

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Jess I've been using bullseye shellac with good results. It seals up oily woods- haven't had any woods with bad grain to try it out on.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I forgot to mention other than super glue or the massie type.  I will give the bullseye a go.  Does it fill the pore with one or two applications.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Jess, I have been using the high solids vynle sealer from Thunderbird.  Works very well...thick, fast drying and sands very nicely.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:00 AM »
I have been using the Bullseye recenly also. I find that none of the sealers sand well. By this I mean they gum the paper up quick. So to start I use 00 steel wool or the course 3M pads then sand on the last coat.
High on Archery.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Bullseye works nice. Seals and fills. Then T-bird it the next day.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by bjansen:
Jess, I have been using the high solids vynle sealer from Thunderbird.  Works very well...thick, fast drying and sands very nicely.
Don't mean to high jack Brad is this the new stuff they now carry. She told me it was more expensive but works better than what they used to sell.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Shawn, I ordered mine probably 2 years ago....and it is something that I talked with her on the phone/email about. I am not sure if it is actually on the order form or not but ask her about "high solids vynl sealer'.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Just got in from work.  Thanks for all of the ideas gentlemen.  I appreciate it.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
I picked up a qt. of the Bullseye Sand and Sealer Shellac today to try. I like the fact that it's something I can purchase locally.

I like the Massie Finish I've been using, but I too am looking for something that dries faster. If it fills the pores like the massie finish I'll be a happy camper. I just put the first coat on a piece of walnut. If it fills the pores on that then I'll try it on other porus woods like wenge. That will be the real test.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Found out something today. For those that are having problems with their sand paper gumming up when using sand and sealers. It might be the type sand paper your using.

While sanding the first coat of bullseye sand and sealer I used the 3M Pro Pac paper. Gumming up was the worst I've ever seen with any finish.

When the second coat was dry I switched to Pro Pac Sandblaster paper. No gumming and when the buildup on the paper was at the point I felt the paper was no longer cutting I just wiped it on a rag and carried on almost like I was using new paper.

The package said it last seven times longer and now I really believe it.

It only took 1/4 sheet to sand the massie finsh I had applied yesterday to my trade bow riser. Nornally I'll use atleast 3/4's of a sheet to run over a riser with other paper.

I'm sold on it!!! Might be worth trying if your having problems.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©