Author Topic: What are the chances- Kansas Staves?  (Read 315 times)

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
What are the chances- Kansas Staves?
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
So I cut an Osage a couple of months ago and naturally it will be a LONG time before I can do much with the staves.
What are the chances someone in Kansas has a seasoned hickory stave a guy could purchase and pick up? Looking for a hand here. I'm eager as all get out to start shaving on something....
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are the chances- Kansas Staves?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
then bring it inside where it's nice and dr and it will be and it will be ready in a fe in a few months
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
You can split a stave, chase a ring, then seal the back and ends and take it inside.  set it on a shelf or window sill above a baseboard heater or furnace vent for a month or two, and she'll be good to go.  I did that with my osage I cut a few years ago now, and got a really nice bow out of it.  Still shooting her too.  Just make sure you seal the ends and back before "quick drying" it.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Pinehollow longbows is a sponsor, you could hit up Mike Yancey there for a hickory stave, there not much. He's got a good reputation around these parts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©