Author Topic: Just Can't Do It  (Read 749 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
Just Can't Do It
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I just can't do it.... I can't make a selfbow. I have tried and tried and as always something goes wrong and snap, crack, bang, $*%&#&*@*!!!!

Kudos to you guys that can hammer these bows out. I was trying to toast and heat the belly of my snakey elm bow going slow when clamping and snap.... So dissappointed and fed up. Want to hunt bad this spring with a selfbow but its looking like it won't happen.

Time to turn into Roy and grab a cold one.... Try starting again on another tomorrow

Offline CalebNH00

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just Can't Do It
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
n just make another, I've made nine bows eight have broken. stick with it, you'll get it.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Looks like you have some fatal grain runout to me.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
please don't turn into Roy. we couldn't stand the sight of another half naked bowyer !!
I haven't tried a selfbow yet... so you are doin great, don't give up. there are some selfbow build/shoots where you could get a hands-on build experience. the one I've been looking into is in Missouri

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
So sorry to hear that but I think you'll try again. Now that you've gotten some practice in, move on to a more reliable and forgiving wood - OSAGE!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Too bad, but it does happen.  Agree with Joe - start with a good stave and things will go better I bet.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Just try again and try steam bending.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Happens to everyone, the best of us and the worst of us. The more twisted the sstave the tougher the challenge. Grab some hickory. It's really pretty forgiving as a selfbow I find.

I recommend getting the bow tillered and shooting, then start with the HEAT. Toast that bugger until your satisfied.

Best part of hickory is when you toast it, the wood smells like hickory nuts. If you have the patience, hickory nuts are delicious ... well some of em at least, probably not bitternut hickory ... but alot of the others are TASTY! Look another plus of finding, cutting and working hickory.

Cheers and good luck.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Ya quitter. Go drink a glass of warm milk, eat some cereal, put your Donald Duck jammies on and go to bed...!   :laughing:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
And I have lost count of how many bows have broken on me. At first it hurt, now I just laugh and grab a glass of warm milk. Seems to help:)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Being a bit younger than ol' Roy I can still stomach cold milk, but otherwise I agree 100%

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Sorry about your disappointment.  From the looks of things, it looks like the wood wasn't warm enough to bend as you clamped it along your caul and it simply gave way.  When you're inducing reflex, you have to think of the belly as the back because it's undergoing tension while clamping.  Hang in there!  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Get a good, straight, stave to start with, preferably Osage or yew; one that will not need any heat or bending to make a shooting bow.  

There are already to many variables with selfbows then to add the risk inherent with heating the stave.  My personal belief is most of US use more heat than we should, and a lot more than is needed.  Looking back, I'm fairly certain my heat treated bows have close to a 5 to 1 higher ratio of failure when compared to those that never see a heat gun or steam.  Twenty years back, before the internet allowed us to freely exchange bow building information, the success rate for the first time bowyer was a lot higher.  Yes, I said higher.  Then, the average newbie was told to be careful, take it slow, not to press the limits of the wood, and to give a little in performance in exchange for stability and durability, Basically, putting it in horse sense terms, most would be better off trying to build/breed a good mountain horse before trying to build/breed the next triple crown winner.  My guess is if you were to ask those who have built over a hundred selfbows, 90% of them had made at least five successful bows before they attempted to use heat. They wanted to limit the risk and increase the probability of success.

Can you use heat and make a good bow the first time out? Absolutely!  The odds of doing so are just lower... I believe considerably lower.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Looks like a bad stave, where did ya get it?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. I know it happenes to us all but I don't know how ya guys grab a new stave and begin again. Man all that time and energy and in one move... BOOM its gone.

Roy no donald jammies... their in the wash..I laughed out loud literally when I read that.

Gonna give it another go after my BBO is in glue up... Hopefully have that puppy in clamps by tomorrow.

Thanks again all!

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
You'll getter buddy, don't get down on yourself.

heck you got some stories to tell at least, I aint built squat yet. Don't look at it as a failure, just an unexpected oppertunity to learn or try something new.

Take your time and listen to these guys, they have alot of wisdom to share, and between your patiance and thier wisdom you will get the bow you want, I just know it.  :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Atta boy, Justin. See ya feel better already:)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Yup listen to these guys. I've broke more then I've had work. You will get it...if I can do it you can.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I just seen on E-Beay that they are selling crying towels for half price. I'm gonna buy some n send em to ya son...      :saywhat:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Haha...  Can you just send me up a bow maid please and thank you!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©