Author Topic: First bow...Need Tiller Help! Please  (Read 258 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
First bow...Need Tiller Help! Please
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Hey Guys/Gals!

This has been a long process for me to actually get a bow to the tiller stage. But the days finally here! It was pretty cool to see my first bow bending. Anyways, this is a red oak board bow. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

10 inches

15 inches

Pic won't go down in size. Hope the other two will work.

20 inches

Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bow...Need Tiller Help! Please
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Jon, since you got it bending pretty good, I would file some string grooves and put a string on her at a very low brace height.  Say maybe an inch or two.  It may look alot different with a real string instead of a tiller string.  I would not pull it any further till I got it strung.

What are the specs?  What are you shootin for?

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks David! I hope I didn't hurt it by pulling it back so far already. I'm hoping to get my string making supplies in early this week and then I'll get a real string on it.

I'm shooting for it's a 68" and I'm shooting for 50@28. I haven't decided if I want to cut a little shelf in it or use a deer antler as a shelf. Also haven't decided if I want to back it with a digital camo duct tape. What do you think on all the above?
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Agree with David - time for the short string with a low brace.  Doubt that you did any damage with the long string - doesn't look like your much past a normal brace height.  Looks to be bending mostly just past the fades - stiff elsewhere - do you have a tillering gizmo?  It will help with the tillering once you get it braced.  Good luck  - looking fine so far.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
You probably didn't hurt it any with the tillering string.  A short string will give you a true idea about the tiller.  Yes, a tillering gizmo is a real handy tool.  You can make one very easy.  Just look for it in the archives on TG.

You should be good on the specs.  A backing would be good.  I have never used duct tape so I can't speak about that.  Post more pics when you get her on the short string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©