Author Topic: tung oil finish/ poly?  (Read 288 times)

Offline Tim Besmer

• Trad Bowhunter
tung oil finish/ poly?
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Does anyone know if you can put polyurethane over Formby's tung oil finish? I like the tung oil finish but don't know if is waterproof enough?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tung oil finish/ poly?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Tung Oil is not made for outdoor furniture but it works great on hunting bows that get wet once in a while. Never tried to put poly over it but I'd bet it would work. Try it on a scrap piece first.

Offline CamoZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi Tim.. I was wondering that same thing..I asked around too as I thought the poly might crack or not take well to the bending..from the feedback I have got from other builders on here a polymerize tung oil (lee valley tools has a great poymerized tung oil product 2 in 1 type..used it on other carvings and it is excellent) works well for bows too..
This moment called present seems to me perpetually pleasant

Offline spsrodco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Tim, I use a tung oil based varnish over a pure tung oil dip on bamboo rods. The product is made by Sutherland Wells and is fantastic.  I would not trust the bond of the poly over the oil.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »
I used  Tung Oil for the first time and could never get the flow and finish I liked. Scuffed it off and put 3 coats of polly over the tung oil for a beautifull job.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:41:00 AM »
Guess tung oil works the same way as a primer for following coats of poly ar acrylic than linen oil does.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
The formby's "tung oil" is not tung oil.  Get some 100% tung oil and it will be VERY waterproof after about 5 coats.  I would sand the formby's all the way off.  It is soft, shiny, and does not repel water.  I think it is desgined for hand rails and bannisters.  Wood crafter carries and excellent 100% tung oil.  I have a 12 ounce bottle, have done more than a dozen bows, and still have most of it left.  Just remeber to push ALL of the air out of the bottle between openings
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Tim Besmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.This was my first attempt at an osage bow and was so exited that it tillered out, and made weight that I could'nt wait to get a finish on it. It turned out to be a  great, looking,and shooting bow.
 I kinda jumped the gun.I Should have researched first acted second. I'll probably leave this one as is. I'll know better next bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©