Author Topic: Cost effective black riser material?  (Read 505 times)

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Cost effective black riser material?
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Anyone know of any black riser materials that don't cost a fortune?  I was originally thinking of using ebony, but it is extremely expensive and I read it doesn't work great in bows because of how oily it is.  So then I check into using micarta, but it is extremely expensive in pieces big enough to make a riser out of.  I looked at a couple other dark woods, but most of them are way too pricey to be a standard go to material for black risers.

So does anyone have any ideas?  Can I ebonize maple to make a black riser?  If so, does the dye or ink soak in enough that it would still look black after shaping the riser? How is wenge? Does it look black?

Thanks!

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost effective black riser material?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Are you making a one or 3 piece take-down.

Takedown would be able to be stained after shaping and sanding. A one piece would be tough to dye after its shaped because dye would bleed into your core lams.

Wenge is dark but not as dark as it sounds you want. It does look good though. Wenge would look sweet with a chunk of black phenolic in it.

Good luck.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
If you are makeing a 3 piece it could be stained or even painted. A few light coats of Krylon then spray clear over that. I just stained a one piece riser after final sanding and had to do the limb edges also to make it look decent.
High on Archery.

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
I have seen black impregnated wood for risers.  I think it was birch.  Being impregnated it was black and dense.  I saw it at the Kalamazoo trad bowhunters expo a couple years ago.  

Anybody know where to find this stuff.

Eric

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
It would be for a one piece design, otherwise yeah, I'd just dye it. I was hoping the dye went deep enough into the wood that i could just rough shape it, dye it, then do the glue up and finish the shaping on it, but it sounds like that won't work.  So basically I can paint it black very carefully, or look for black impregnated wood?  Wish they made actionwood in all black!

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Why not use phenolic its less expensive than any ebony out there.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
You could try what I'm gonna do, and that's to use a vacuum chamber. I want a piece of blue for my brothers' bow, but no one sells blue wood. So I'm making a vacuum chamber and going to use a wood hardener and dye to impregnated the wood clear through. I'm not sure if the wood hardener is necessary, its more of a carrier for the dye. But it will help to stabilize the piece of wood I'm using.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
What about african blackwood?

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Phenolic is too expensive in a riser size.  Say I wear to make one out of .25" laminates, at $20 a piece it would come to $120 dollars for the size of riser I need.  I would get one and a half risers from it, so 3 risers for 240 dollars, which is way too much. African blackwood is around the same price in 2x2x24 (I need 1.5x2x22).

I think I'm just going to use wenge. It's easily available and relatively inexpensive, and it's dark enough, who knows, maybe I'll like it better than a pure black haha. Thanks for the suggestions.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
I wouldn't use wenge by itself, it should have some re-enforcement.  Also, it is pain to fill all the open pours when using it for accents, I couldn't imagine filling a complete riser.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
AH i figured out what to do! I'll do an I beam lamination. Some type of wood in the middle (can change it depending on the limb lams)and phenolic on the outsides.  If i do it right, I should be able to do it with two strips of phenolic and a piece of wood, totaling to about 50$ a riser, which is somewhat decent. Would look cool too with the wood post only being visible where the arrow shelf and sight window are cut.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Man! the wenge is no good either huh?  Guess I have little choice but to do what I outline above haha.

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I think wenge makes great risers.  I make short risered longbows but it is dark, and good looking.  I didn't find the grain that difficult to fill.  I used 2their coates of superglue sanding between.  Seals and fills grain nicely.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Wenge makes outstanding risers. If you want it really dark make sure the sides are edge grain. If you want alittle more character use flat grain on the sides of the riser.

Yes, filling all the pores is a pain. However, in my book if you do it right it can really show the pride you take in your work.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
wenge is great for risers

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Here it ziricote.  Very dark brown.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
This place has a charcoal silvertone Dymondwood that is almost all black.
  web page
High on Archery.

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Try Bob Lee for impregnated Futurewood/Durawood.  I bought some from him a few years back. He possibly still sells/makes it.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I use a lot of ziricote.  I love that stuff  one of my fav riser woods

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I love wenge. Getting ready to glue up a wenge riser for a 3 piece with a curly maple I beam. Will be hickory backed wenge limbs with curly maple wedges.
Go wenge!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©