Author Topic: newbie needs help AGAIN  (Read 257 times)

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
newbie needs help AGAIN
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
My tiller on my glass lam longbow came out exactly the same on both limbs @ 18" .I shoot 3 under,should I weaken one limb 1/4"????

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: newbie needs help AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
No, at least not normally when shooting three  under.  Most often the tier on glass bows are checked for the distance from the fades to the string when braced.  Many, mistakenly, do not pay much attention to the profile of a glass bow when drawn.  Often the desired arc or curve is designed into it, but not always.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Walts got it, check your tiller at the tips of the fades at brace. You may be fine with even tiller. See how the bow sounds and feels when ya shoot it. Maybe have someone take a full draw pic so you you can see if you are really stressing the lower limb. The bow will tell you what it's wants with sound and vibration.

Cory

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.The brace measurement at the fades is even just like the measurement@ 18".I'll finish the riser this weekend and take some full draw pics then post hoping for some feed back.

Cant say thanks enough,but thanks

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Al, just a late thought here. How far above center will you cut your shelf? I usually cut mine 1.25 to 1.5 above center. I believe if you raise that to 1.75 since you shoot three under even tiller should be pretty close. You bird finger will most likely be in the center of the bow so you should be stressing the limbs equally.

Of course I could be way off base, if so someone will hopefully correct me. I've only been building for two years so I still have a lot to learn.  I'm just giving info on what has worked for me.

Cory

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
I cut it tonite at 1.25 just before I read your post  :smileystooges:  Cutting at 1.75 may have worked,but I know too little to even guess.If it comes out bad is sanding some off the belly on the upper limb the way to go???     :dunno:

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
That's ok you may want the bottom limb bending more since your fingers will be putting more pull under center. Start with the even tiller you can always adjust from there. If you don't have one make a tiller tree. When you draw the bow on the tree put your hook where your middle finger will sit on the string. You may be better than you think at even tiller.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
Thanks again,I'll try that this weekend.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Nother question.....on the tiller tree what works best for the hooks?Wood dolls,padded screws  :dunno:

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
If you use dowels I would us at least a half inch, some decking screws and a little duc tap will work too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©