Author Topic: Navajo Bow (not Roy Hall) info?  (Read 355 times)

Offline TheUnatural

• Trad Bowhunter
Navajo Bow (not Roy Hall) info?
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I am looking to make an authentic Navajo bow (as a way of connecting with my culture), but I have not been able to find much information. I have only been able to find that these bows are sinew backed, seem to have a rounded (back) D-cross section, and measure about 3'8". Are there any special considerations when making these bows? And does anyone know of the wood used in these bows? Since I live in AZ, it would be nice if there was a native species I could harvest. Thanks in advance!
Something I Learned Making Bows: You never know how many small cuts and scrapes you have on your hands UNTIL you wipe something down with acetone.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Navajo Bow (not Roy Hall) info?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Osage or hickory I would guess was the wood, but the bow bows and arrows of the native Americans or native American bows and arrows would have all the info you need. I cant remember the title offhand. Sorry not much help, bit I hope you enjoy the process. I was taught by a Cherokee man for my first good shooter.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline TheUnatural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I know that typically Native American bows are made of hickory or osage, but I don't think that Navajos would use these types of woods. They really don't grow out here, with the exception of the few you might find in places like the White Mountains. Navajo tribes tend to be found more in desert/shrublands.
Something I Learned Making Bows: You never know how many small cuts and scrapes you have on your hands UNTIL you wipe something down with acetone.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Is be willing to bet they traded for it though. Again, I'm just guessing.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Sacred mt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Might try American Indian Archery by Reginald and Gladys Laubin.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Jim Hamm has a book out there on native american bows.  Also some info in the TBB series.  If you are going to build any kind of bows it would be very helpful to get all four volumes of the TBB books.

Some of the Arapahoe hows were made of willow.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Juniper would be one of the woods used by the Southwest  cultures and it makes a sweet sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TheUnatural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Juniper would be one of the woods used by the Southwest  cultures and it makes a sweet sinew backed bow.
Any Juniper in particular?

Offline Steven Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
In the "Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows, and Quivers Volume 2" by Alley & Hamm, they describe three different Navajo bows.  The first is a split limb with a rounded back and flattened belly that is 39.5 inches long.  They do not mention what kind of wood it is.

The second is 42.5 inches long and is a sinew-backed bow but again, there is no mention of what type of wood it is made from.

The third is 47 inches long, sinew-backed, and was made from Mesquite.

There are also some depictions of painting schemes, arrows, and beautiful quiver and bow case made from mountain lion skin with decorative beading.

Hope that helps.

--Steve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Mesquite... I should have remembered that one.    :banghead:

Offline TheUnatural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steven Russell:

The third is 47 inches long, sinew-backed, and was made from Mesquite.

Hope that helps.

--Steve
That does help quite a bit, the mesquite out here grows like mad. it's going to be a pain finding a straight piece, though.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Straight juniper. That should be hard enough to find. d;^)   Probably any juniper that is long enough and straight enough can be used for bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Straight juniper. That should be hard enough to find. d;^)  
I have my eye on some of that right now, but am not sure what to do once it is cut!  :o
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
With small diameter(2" to 3") osage , hickory and elm I saw them in half lengthwise then bind them back together with small wood spacers along their length for good air movement. By binding them back together they will dry without warping or twisting. You won't get any natural reflex this way but you can add that with heat later or let the sinew reflex the bow as it dries.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©