Author Topic: Stack slid,, question  (Read 277 times)

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Stack slid,, question
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I just built a new bow press, and was in a hurry to glue up my first bow, as a result I did not put as many guides on my form as I did on my first form (after my first stack slid on that form) and yes, the stack slid on this one also. my question, is it possible to make a good tillered bow after a stack has slid. on the bows I have made that glued up good, I have had no problem with tiller (limbs bending along center line and not leaning to one side) but on both of the ones that slid it seems to be a loosing battle trying to get them to bend straight. do you complete one if it slides, or do you just start over?
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stack slid,, question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
One trick I've learned from this forum is to drill a few holes in lower form and cable tie stack leaving in place until about 15psi is on air hose.Cut them and pull out with pliers.Still need more side guides though.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
X2 what Bob does.  I do the same thing.  

On the bow you have now all glued up.  I would just square it up and make it as light as it needs to be.  A light bow is  better than no bow at all.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Depending on how much it slid I imagine you could still make a good tillered bow.  Just take a little more work.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
forge ahead!!you'll learn more on a foul up- than a perfect blank
Mike

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Normally I pump in alittle air then check everything. If something moves I can let the air out adjust the stack and then reinflate. I never pump in all the air needed at one time.

I may be worng, but if the stack moves it means to me that I had too much glue on one side of a lam or lams. When the hose starts to firm up it's going to push sooner on one side of the stack causing movement.

Oh! and yes I have had a stack or two move and not catch it. This happened acouple times until I started pumping in alittle air at a time.

Centering and tillering was alittle harder, but I still managed to make good bows out of them.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys, did most of what was stated, Did not think about uneven glue coverage, glue was a little cold, I think most of the slippage was as the glue warmed up, probably did not have even coat on the lams.
Will finish and see what i get, the last one shot great but would thump your arm bad, will try to have any limb bend go away from bow arm, weight is as low as I can go now.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©