Author Topic: St. Judes Challenge  (Read 2682 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Judes Challenge
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Well, I'm all done building my swap bows for the year and I only have two other bows on the books to make so I plan on building a kids how for the St.Judes auction this summer. I think it would be awesome if we all jumped in and made just a pile of kids bows for the auction. Sure it don't have to be a kids bow, but it is all about the kids so why not right. My challenge is to everyone out there in the swap or not. Let's see how many kids bows we can fill the auction up with and really show this site what the bench can do for what is in my opinion one of the greatest charities out there.  I was born with a condition called tetrology of fallot and had my first open heart surgery at the age of three. I can't imagine what my parents went through both financially and mentally, but they made it and so did I thanks to some awesome doctors at children hospital in st. Louis. Ever since then I have had a soft spot in my heart, no pun intended, for sick kids. We are all so lucky to not have to know the kind of issues that these families go through.
 Anyway, I'm in. I hope you all are in to. It won't cost much just some time and the reward will be ten fold I think. So, who is in? Don't make me call yall out cuz I will.   :campfire:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Judes Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Alright, so I'm calling out Roy right now.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
When is the St. Jude's auction, and what would constitute a kid's bow?  Weight, length, etc?
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
I'm in!!

I know all too well about sick kids.  In December 2006, my wife gave birth to extremely premature twin boys.  Jonathan weighed 1 lb 14 oz and Michael weighed 1 lb 6 oz.  They spent months in the hospital and Jonathan eventually came home, but we had to let little Michael go.  His lungs were just too under developed.  Jonathan had a rough road to start, but is a healthy little boy today.

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I'm in. What weight, length we looking at?

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm glad you jumped in john. You were on my list. Lol.  That's an awesome pic by the way. Priceless.

Kids bows seem to be all over the place. I make mine around 48 and up and the weight is usually somewhere around 15@15 20@20 18@18. It really doesn't matter as long as it shoots. My three year old daughters bow is maybe five lbs. She can pull it with ease, plus I have dry fired it and overdrawn it over and over to insure safety for any potential overzealous big brothers.  My oldest son has one of Mike's maddag bows. I will get some measurements from it for you glass guys.

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
when is the auction? i might be able to get a selfbow or 2 done up for the kids.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Count me in David. Can you post deadline and info on bow shipment details?

Thanks
Cory

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I'm in.  Let me know what you need.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I got the perfect lil osage stave at 56 inches...still never made a selfbow that small but heck ya I'll do my best. I will be definitely in if it turns out nicely! Great idea DVS!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
David, That's an awesome idea!!  So, so many talented bowyers here on TG....I've often wondered why we only get a few bows donated each year. Every one that gets donated brings a good amount of money for the kids...lets hope this lights a fire....com'on fellas!!

All and any kids bows will be great, but heck, big boy adult bows will bring a lot of interest as well and remember it's all for the kids....so donate, donate, donate!!!!

David    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
If I've got time I'm in. Just depends on the deadline.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
The auction itself is in June and last year items started listing before hand. Basically there is no sign up. All you do is make a bow, take some pics of it and list it. After the auction you pay to ship it to the winner. Some have issues with shipping cost and just donate and have the buyer pay shipping. It's pretty cheap as most know to ship bows.  I have one done already and will make another. Kids bows seem pretty easy to crank out. Maybe you can't make a bow but make quivers or arrows, kids need arrows too. I'll see if I can dig up the actual dates onight if I can.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I bet one shows up in my rack that I'll part with about that time Dave    ;)

I'm in
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm in Dave. Was thinking about doing that anyway.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
I knew you would be Ron.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I like this idea a lot. Hopefully I can get a hickory self bow finished for this.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
"My oldest son has one of Mike's maddag bows. I will get some measurements from it for you glass guys."

Great idea!

Remember, you won't have to hit a specific weight, thousands of potential buyers lookin!

Makes it easy, huh??

Prob dont need any 70# @ 14" tho!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
Kenny forgot to add that he is in as well. Thanks Kenny!

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
That's why it is called the st. Judes challenge.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©