Author Topic: Nootka bow  (Read 315 times)

Offline pres

• Trad Bowhunter
Nootka bow
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
I am new to bow building and I am interested in all wood bows.  I've built about 25 bows with varying results.  I read all the volumes of the TBB and slowed down on the process in hopes of getting a better result.  One design that intrigues me is the Nootka design.  Curved back, ribbed belly.  I've built 2 experiments so far both of red oak.  The first one was lightning fast for 25 shots!  Crack.  The second one is longer and wider out of an oak board.  74", 3 1/2" wide, and drew 83 pounds at 28".  I tillered down to 55# to save my shoulder.  Has anyone else built something similar?

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nootka bow
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I haven't built any, but I sure would love to see some pictures of the ones you built!

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
I used to do alot of experimentation.  I now build only fiberglass/wood laminated hybrid and osage selfbows (Torges style with a tweak or two) These are two are the most durable and funstional bows IMHO. When you go for speed, or use any wood other than osage for a selfbow dissapointment will eventually find you.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Where do you live in VA?
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline pres

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
I know exactly where Elkton is...up by Charlottesville I do believe.  I live in Roanoke.  I would love to load a picture if I could figure out how.

I've had good sucess with hornbeam but it needs a thicker fade than 5/8" I've found.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:12:00 AM »
I make quite a few longbows that are Hickory Backed Red Oak.  I call it Faux Yew since it has the general color of the Yew bow with the light sapwood back over a darker belly.  I believe that you need to back Red Oak with something  since it is inherently a weaker wood and prone to breakage.

I find the classic 'D' shape with thinner tips performs better than flatbow styles.

As said above - Osage is no doubt the best bow wood, but it also depends on the style you are looking for and perhaps the color of the woods.

I still prefer the true Pacific Yew for the overall beauty of the long bow.  It can have its quirks and make fall a bit short of Osage in performance, but if done right will make a shooter and a piece of art.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©