Author Topic: profile wrong??  (Read 788 times)

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
profile wrong??
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Im finishing my first glass r/d longbow and the profile looks a little wrong,but I dont know why or whats exactly wrong.Maybe it just looks off from this side of my eye balls  :rolleyes:  Can someone with a more experience eye pick up whats wrong ???
Thanks for any help
Al

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: profile wrong??
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
The mid limbs look stiff but if you compare them to the braced profile you will see that they do reduce some of the reflex when drawn. On your next bow make the mid limbs bend a bit more to give the limbs a more rounded look at full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
To me it looks like the limbs are mainly bending just behind the fades. Did you use tapered lams or a power lam in your stack ? Those could help move the bend a bit away from the fades.

----------
Andy

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I used tapered lams,and I forgot to mention that it is little loud too.The brace measurement at the fades is 1/16 POS.,and the same at 18 in.I shoot 3 under .Don't know if thats causing the noise or not.

Thanks

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Guess some more info bout widt/thickness and taper would be usefull!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
From the pics, a little more deflex in riser, a power lam , or narrowing the outer limbs would help. That's just the way I like em anyway.  :)  

Quite a few bow designs bend a little much just off the fades to suit me , but they shoot pretty well.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
I don't know the taper  :banghead:  Bringhams figured out the stack for me and wasn't written in with the paperwork.I called them to find out what it was,but they must have busy and I got the impression they didn't have time to look it up.
The width at the fads is 1 1/4,at nock 5/8.Stack at fad is .304.Bow is 60" long.

Thanks again

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
IMO, with a 1.25" wide bow, you need more than their standard .002 taper.

Your 1.25 at fades and 5/8" at nocks is not enough side taper to make it bend like you want.

On a narrow bow, you have less side taper so need more taper in the lams.

All my opinion, yer mileage may vary....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to listen to Kenny and order your next bow material from him.  lol  I've never ordered from binghams, I've never had to always ordered from Kenny and he has always made time for me and any questions I've had.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
Yeah, Kenny is the man.  Could not be more pleased with the order I just received from him.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
So did you follow Bingham's plans too?

I started out with Binham's too but that was before they brought out their r/d plans and kits, so I've never actually seen one.  It does seem odd that they wouldn't have more deflex in the riser.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
John....No,I didn't.They have you making a templates for the limbs and I couldn't get upper and lower limbs the same,so I did it like in one of Kenneym built alongside.That made the limbs a little narrower,which dropped the weight.So I piked it 1".So I'm not blaming them.I pretty much screwed this up all by myself.(I am good at that)    :D
  And I placed a order with sister McKenzie ,I mean Kennym last Fri.I do hope he's part nun and I do feel sorry for him cuz he has to deal with a moran like me ,but life ain't easy     :bigsmyl:
  I do want to thank all you guys for all your info and help.

Offline M.Kerry Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Ive done business with both bingams and kennys. Service is excellent from both. Elmont spends a lot of time helping others. I think it is asking a lot for a larger volume company like bingams to remember the exact specs of a single order you placed. You should be able to use a caliper to figure out close to what your lams were.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
M.Kerry:You are correct they do offer good service,and they always answered my questions with this one exception.As I said they must have busy.I didn't expect them to remember my order.You are right that I should have been able measure them myself,but being a beginner the fact is I didn't know how nor did I own a caliper at the time.As I said all the mistakes were my own doing.This is one of the reasons I'm on this site,to learn.

Offline M.Kerry Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
That's the good thing about this hobby is the willingness from others to help. I think you can alleviate some of your profile issues by adding a bit more deflex to your form. This is easily done and i think you will like the results. I've made sme bows similar to yours and they were good shooters. My formula was just 2 parallels and 1-.130x.002 taper.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the help.I'll try to modify my form.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
I think kenny is dead on it with this one.

looks weak at the fades and stiff midlimb out.

I'd try .003 or maybe even .004 taper with all else equal on the next one. I'm pretty sure more thickness taper will bring the weight down though so you might need a slightly thicker stack ...

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Would trapping the upper half of the belly on this one help ????   :dunno:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
If you are 5/8 at tip, you can narrow some more and trap also, but you will lose some weight.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Would it perform much better if I narrowed the limbs and trapped?? I hate to lost the weight.And if I trap it should it be the belly side??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©