Author Topic: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginning.  (Read 7085 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginning.
« on: March 31, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Last year at the Tenn Classic Clint Anders(osage outlaw)gave me this cool stave from the giant osage he harvested in 2011. I was excited when he gave it to me not only because it was from "the" tree but also it had a cool knot hole in one end...

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to build a short osage static recurve with sinew backing. After looking through my stash I decided to take a close look at the stave Clint gave me. After studying this stave I realized that the knot was too close to the tip for my comfort. I think it would have excess physical weight with the extra wood around the knot and it would adversely affect the way the bow shot. So I did the unthinkable. I cut this stave at 56", a few inches below the knot. I then chased a good back ring, marked the center line and them marked of the back prifile.

I cut it out to 1 3/4" wide most of its length then it tapers to 1" at the tips for now.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginning.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Next I cut the limb thickness to 3/4" from tips to fades.

...and this is where I am now. I will reduce the belly beginning with a farriers rasp until I get to floor tiller stage. Then it will be a scraper and maybe a little work with the Nicholson #49 if needed. At some point I will bend the recurves. I made this form when I first strated thinking about this recurve. It has the same radius as my other recurve form but this bow will have 6" recurves and my older form would only make 3" recurves. Here is the new form...

This bow will be a long drawn out affair especially since it will have a sinew back but I will post pics as I continue on.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks a lot Pat,
I am looking forward to following this one along.
Bert.  :bigsmyl:

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Looking forward to the progress, Pat!

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Looking forward to the curves.  Thanks Pat.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Looking good so far Pat, keep up the good work!

:campfire:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
Bert, you are my inspiration and I will bend Matt Wirwicki's ear when I see him at the Tenn. Classic. If either of you guys have any suggestions or other ideas please chime in. I have a pretty strong constitution. d;^)
  Unfortunately this one will take while to complete. This time of year my time gets limited but I'll keep you guys posted as I make progress.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I just know this is gonna be good!!   :campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
I'm hoping to get some stave reduction this weekend. If I have the time I may even try to get a tip or two curved.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
Is it done yet Pat?  Just kidding.  

I enjoy your build-a-longs.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »
I love the pile of saw dust and shavings on and around your bandsaw  :)  makes me feel at home. I have not gotten my nerve up to start on my osage stave will keep a eye ball on your build. Got any butter for the pop corn?

Joe

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Today I thinned the limbs to about 5/8". One limb had a slight crook that I heated and clamped to straighten.

After that cooled some it was time to recurve the limb tip. I had to modify the form a little so I could use screw clamps, then I added some oil and began heating. As I heated the belly I could feel the resistance lesson. A few splinters began to lift on the belly so I supported them with a clamp and continued...

I'll fill the splinters with super glue and if necessary I'll add an underlay to support the recurves. Now she'll sit in the form until tomorrow to insure the wood has completely cooled then I'll recurve the other limb.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Cool Pat, don't those splinter hurt anything? Nice looking stave there too. Just drives me nuts when I see how much some of you guys reflex the tips:)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Roy, the splinters aren't very deep. I'll super glue them and if necessary I'll add an underlay to support the recurve later.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
Guess you will file a groove down the belly to hold the string on? What actually do you gain by recurving the tips so much?

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Interesting, do you think the splinters would have lifted If the tip had been boiled or steamed? Bue--.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Probably not Bue but I have always done it this way. The limbs are thick and the splinters don't go deep into the wood, they follow the early growth ring but are pretth shallow. On other recurves I'm made a bit of super glue in the splinters and clamped worked well. By the time the final tips are shaped they won't be noticable. I will probably add underlay for protection.
  Roy this bow will be sinew backed and will be pretty short even for my 26" draw. These recurved tips will be static or mostly so. This will put a lot of strain on the smaller working area of the limb and that is where the sinew comes into play. The sinew will also be highly stressed adding speed to the bow(all in theory)but hopefully also lots of protection for the back. The recurves also allow this short bow to be drawn without stacking(string/tip angle)and less finger pinch. Heck, it may blow all to hell on the first draw but it is something I've wanted to make for a while. I've made 60"t/t recurve selfbows from osage and elm but not one this short and not one with sinew backing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I made a 58" ntn hickory selfbow with slightly recurved tips. This is gonna be something well beyond that though. I'm very interested to see how this comes along. I prefer shooting a longer bow but I love looking at these shorter bows with the sinew, the reflex, the recurves etc. Keep it coming!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Best of luck with it, Pat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©