Author Topic: How do you measure reflex/deflex?  (Read 372 times)

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you measure reflex/deflex?
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Is it from the peak of the back at the handle, or from where the fades end?  Also, what amounts of r/d have you guys found to work well for you?  I'm aiming for a pretty pronounced r/d, around 2" deflex, 4" reflex. This a good amount?

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you measure reflex/deflex?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
When thinking about a form I also regard the tips angle, the points where the de- turns into reflex and where the most bellyside point is.
Generally your values won`t be wrong but don`t make a form at all.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I don't understand your last sentance Moe, but thanks for pointing out those other factors.  The most bellyside point is the same point where the de turns into reflex, correct?

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »
I meant the 2" de- and 4" reflex for a total of 2" reflex are ok for pronounced d/r- there are designs with no real reflex too.
The point you mentioned are not really same- the deflex curve goes from the riser to a point where the circle starts to change going back side but this isn`t the deepest/belliest point.
I hope this is understandable but here it`s 7:00 AM and I just got first coffee...
Ed;
Anyway your question was where to place the neutral line to measure de-/reflex- I tend to the most deflex/middle of the riser on the back- if I choose the pressurepoint a straight bow would already have reflex exept it has a forwardriser.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Don't know how to post a sketch so I'll try to explain my way in words.
Draw a horizontal base line as long as your bow.Find the centre.Now with the centre of the bow lined up with the centre of the base line lay the bow so the deepest part of the limbs are on the base line .

.Measure from the base line to the back of the bow in the centre of the bow and that is your deflex. Now measure from the base line to the back of the bow at the string nock and that is your reflex. Clear as mud?  :knothead:  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Got it!  Thanks guys!

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
This line is good...

Users currently browsing this topic: