Author Topic: Limb" backset" question?  (Read 364 times)

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb" backset" question?
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Ive got a question.A frind of mine has a HH red man.We were looking at it doing some measuring.The bottom limb seems to have a little more "backset" (reflex) at the tips than the top limb.Top has approx 1/4" bottom has 1/2" unstrung Is this from shooting it over time or was the limb form profile possibly built a little different for the top as apposed to the bottom limb?Maby to make it come out of the form positive tiller im guessing?Thanks Scott

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb" backset" question?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Are the limb lengths the same?
Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that the fadeouts on a HH riser are different lengths.
  :dunno:    :dunno:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Well i didnt measure individual limb length,(my friend lives 4.5 hours away from me may have to give him a call and get some more info.dont know when ill have a chance to meet with him again)but ive read some HH bows are built with the lower limb one inch shorter.Actually from what ive read the center of the riser is positioned one inch below the center of the bow(I think ive got that rite).I did notice jsweka that the fadeouts had a different curve to them top and bottom.. At least on the one i was looking at.I havent had a chance to inspect any others to compare.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I talked to a guy a while back who builds a replica of one of Jack B Harrison's long bows.He said the bottom limb has a slightly different curve to it than the top.He said they come out of the form with a specific top and bottom limb due to this feature and the riser being offset 1" the same as stated above in some of the HH's.I didnt know if this was something that was common?Scott

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
If the press was made with reflex in the limbs as mirror images of one another, the bow glued up on center, but then one limb cut off shorter than the other, this would create more reflex in the longer limb.

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I can`t imagine that 2" difference in length would couse 1/4" difference in reflex- not with 1" reflexed nor a 2" reflexed Hilstyle.
Anyway that was my first thought too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©