Author Topic: Making target points  (Read 465 times)

Offline CalebNH00

• Trad Bowhunter
Making target points
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
How would you make target points? I have found several references in the TBB volumes, but all for hunting points   :( . Any ideas?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making target points
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
use hunting points for target points? are you trying to make a primitive point that you can shoot 3d with?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
maybe an antler tip, bored out to accept a tapered shaft... or you could just use an 11/32 (or whatever size shafts you have) drill bit to drill a hole to accept your shaft... and you could add solder for weight... or you could drill a small hole in the end of the shaft, and stick a nail in it or something for weight... then glue the antler on...

Offline CalebNH00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm just trying to make a point I can shoot targets with.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
trying to save a couple bucks or just like doing everything yourself? field tips are cheap.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
it'd cost more to buy a tapered drill bit that it wound to buy a few dozen field tips

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
yup. unless he just wants to do it himself... in which case... a tapered drill bit.... you could make some mean small game heads out of whatever bolts you have laying around lol.

Offline CalebNH00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
thanks guys.

Offline spider1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Tapered drills are easy to make. I have a few. Just get a cheap spade drill. Make a template of the angle you want out of some thick cardboard or plastic stock (a thick milk container of either material will work) and grind the heck out of the drill until you have your angle.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
it might be cool to make some Glue on hickory blunts too ..... almost like the old native american style except glue on and not integfral with teh shaft

Offline spider1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
one thing I wanna say though, that kind of drill would only be good for bone, antler, wood and plastics. For steel and brass, yep, you will need to spend some money and have the use of a lathe.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
When I was a kid we used shell casings for blunts, 8p duplex concrete nails drilled into the tips, tin cans cut with snips wrapped around the shaft lightly hammered into shape. Heck I remember once using a pencil sharpener to sharpen the tip of dowels wrapped it with sting dipping the tips in paint then when the paint dried sharpening them with a knife.
If all you want is target time or stumping and are not worried about looks anything will do. It is a different story if you are wanting to improve your grouping and accurency .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©