Author Topic: Board bow tips are 1/4"..too skinny to work?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Board bow tips are 1/4"..too skinny to work?
« on: April 09, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Because of making a mistake with a power tool...    :knothead:  

The tips on my pyramid style oak board bow are only going to be 1/4" wide.

Even though not finished, I can't really have them any wider as my deep cut mistake was near the tip.

Can I even put nocks in such a narrow tip?
What would you recommend doing?

Thank you in advance.    :thumbsup:    

John
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Board bow tips are 1/4"..too skinny to work?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
If I knew what a min width was I might be able to cut the strings nocks down the limbs a ways. But they taper so slowly I'd lose a lot of length.

The board is 68" long right now.
I'm working for 45#@28"
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm thinking a tip overlay of some sort might add some wood and make it stronger.

I've seen here recently (recent for me not a new post), that one guy instead of adding a true overlay right to the back, he cut the tip of the bow of diagonally and added a tip that way.

I was thinking I could do something similar but have the new tip be wider and more accommodating.

Along these lines...

I'd rather hear I can just back the bow, cut some nocks (not touching the back) and be good to go.

Maybe I'm just fearing the unknown and getting worked up over nothing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Cut 1" off each end and the tips should widen out enough to add overlays.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Thanks Chris.

1/4" are just too narrow eh?

At 1" down they'll be 5/16"..maybe 11/32"

Really wish I could just leave them wider as I haven't finished the taper yet..but my damn mistake is right there..

Offline CalebNH00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
You could make wrap on nocks. Just wrap some thread or serving around the tips and glue it.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I would do what Pearlie boy said, cut an inch off and then add overlays. If you do it like 4est did, you can gain a little advantage with a slightly recurved tip while adding strength through the ti being thicker belly to back.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
If I remember these are 5/16" osage stave and not a bd ......but I think you'd get the same results...I used an IPE scrape to replace a broken horn nock...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
1/4" is a little narrow. It probably wont break as long as they're fairly deep. The main problem is when teh limb is more narrow than it is depe is they tend to be more prone to twisting and bending slightly sideways.

I'd do as Pearly Boy said.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
Wonder how far back I'll be able to draw this one at 65-66".

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
if it was me id probably not cut an inch off, and just make my tip overlays good and strong.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
that'll do it too ...

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
tips that are narrow and thick are better than wide and thin from a performance standpoint... at least thats what i think i read in the TBB, need to get that out and read it again.  it might be a good idea to leave the last 3 or 4 inches of the tips at full board thickness... or at least 1/2"... and make your tip overlays 2" long. im just guessing though.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Your fine....I make all my tips .250"-.300" ...ya just have to use overlays is all...no big deal dude

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
next time easy with the power tools! go outside the lines with power... go to the line by hand.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I tried! lol
Just a stupid inexperienced mistake.
Table saw..bottom of the board gets cut farther than the visible top.

Thanks for the help guys!

...sorry for the delay in responding...work got hit with lightning yesterday. we're still not really up a going yet...no internet yet at work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©