Author Topic: What's a good sprayable finish?  (Read 786 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What's a good sprayable finish?
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Hi all,  I've used mostly krylon acrylic from rattle cans most recently, and sometimes hand rubbed tru-oil, but what's a good finish one could use in a air sprayer, that finishes satin, or flat, and will set up on the rosewoods?  

Anyone?  I know there's guys out there that at lots more knowlegable on finishing than I am.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's a good sprayable finish?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
I used Fullerplast for many years, but switched to Thunderbird epoxy and prefer it.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
does it cure on woods like c'bolo and b'cote?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Some bowyers I know have switched from Thunderbird to poly that is water clean up.
They use regular sprayers. Say they like it just as well.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline VRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I second the Thunderbird epoxy.I use the satin,for a gloss finish don't stir up the solids as much.I can lay down 5 coats in about 45 minutes,waiting a little between coats.I let that dry overnight,then ink the bow and give it 5 more.Works good on all woods here's a coco and zirocote.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Yep, Thunderbird cures hard over oily woods with no added precautions needed.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Thunderbird

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I have used TB for about 3 years. I cannot get a consistent coat on my bows. How much thinner is to be used?

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
5 coats in 45 mins? Does it not milk up on you? I have sprayed an hour apart and the finish gets milky looking. 3 hours between coats is recommended. What is your secret?
High on Archery.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by mzombek:
I have used TB for about 3 years. I cannot get a consistent coat on my bows. How much thinner is to be used?
25% for me.    It all kinda depends on the area your in and humidity.   The lady at TB told me that.  Sorry can't remember her name.  She's very helpful if you call her on the phone.  

Sorry to hijack mike.

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
If you are looking for something easy, try ML Campbell's Krystal.  It is a post catalyzed conversion varnish (similar to Fullerplast).  I have used both and IMO the Krystal is much more durable. I use the gloss for sealer coats and the dull for a matt fogged finish.
It can be sprayed with a standard HVLP gun and compressor.
I have used very expensive spray guns, but found I got the same or better finish using a cheap HarborFreight gun...just keep it clean!

http://www.mlcampbell.com/products/categories/clear_topcoats/solvent_borne/postcatalyzed/krystal  

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I have heard good things about Krystal.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I use the Krystal dull and have been very happy with the results.

Offline VRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
No secrets Mike,I use a Grizzly H8117 spray gun.I mix equal parts A and B,let that set for the recommended 30 minutes.Then add 25% thinner,mix and spray in light coats to avoid runs.The riser usually gets a little more as the wood tends to absorb it quickly.When I am done with first spraying the bow has an even semi gloss look.The next day or so I spray again and finish with a satin look.
Never had it look milky,you might adjust your spray gun,air flow,or volume.

Offline M.Kerry Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
I've used thunderbird, fuller plast and clear auto finish with a flex agent added.  Fuller plast is the easiest to use. Thunderbird gave me problems with fisheye and cloudiness.  All of them will dry over oily woods. All of them will chip when they hit something hard. The thunderbird will start to peel where the chip is if not fixed quickly. Thunderbird can peel in high wear areas  eventually if the bow is sanded past 220 grit. As you can tell I'm not happy with thunderbird. I like the fullerplast as its similar to what I sprayed my cabinets with and I sprayed 1000's of gallons of conversion varnish over the last 19 years on cabinets and it holds up really good.  As macbow mentioned the newer polyurethanes work great too and are easier on the environment and your body. The conversion varnish and thunderbird emit some pretty harmful fumes.  I'm just down in Salt Lake and can give you some names of local companies that could get you lined up with a good sprayer and finishes.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
What brand of water based poly have you guys tried?I have used a lot of it on cabinets and floors and love the stuff for those applications. Its very hard when cured and easy to work with, just never tried it on bows.T-bird just isn't working for me either and I hate the noxious fumes. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Interested to hear myself what water based will work?

Offline Golfbuddy45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
After completely stripping and sanding my 1964 Bear Tamerlane I used 4 light coats of MOHAWK E-Z Vinyl Sealer (spray can)from local wood shop with light sanding between coats then final 4 coats of MOHAWK PRE-CATALIZED CLEAR LACQUER (spray cans) and the finish looks great and is holding up very well.  The area on the right side of the bow above the BEAR coin is an INLAY I put in the riser to cover 3 terribly unsightly screw holes that the previous owner tried to fill but did an awful job of it.  I like the inlay a lot better than the ugly holes.

GB45

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Bringing this back up to see if anyone has any experience with the waterbased finishes and what brand.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
would the water based finish raise the grain and be a problem?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©