Author Topic: glass tip overlays?  (Read 306 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
glass tip overlays?
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I've been using phenolic for tip overlays but hate how sometimes you can see the cloth in the black after finishing. So I decided to try using some black and white glass  with no scrim that I had left over. It was 1 3/4 wide glass so just cut across the width figuring to use it that way. Problem is it snaps like a toothpick if you bend it at all. I went ahead and cut  up all my scraps like that like a dummy so I'm curious does it always snap if cut into small sideways pieces and do you have to cut it planning on using it length wise? Would glass with scrim do this also?
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: glass tip overlays?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Way better cut lengthwise to keep fibers running longways in pcs.

On black phenolic, if you don't like the grain to show, try a black sharpie on the phen before spraying finish. It blacks out the linen and looks very black and shiny!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
You have to use it lengthways. Even the schrim type will break down the center. It makes much nicer overlays in my opinion but it is harder to blend in to the limb glass. Pre taper it before you glue it on and that makes it much easier to blend it in nicely. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Thanks knew I'd get a answer here! So I'll try it again length wise when I have some more glass. I like using three layers for overlays for looks and the phenolic ends up being pretty thick.  Great tip on sharpie till then.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Great tip on the phenolic Kenny. I used phenolic for the first time recently and I was a little unhappy with the linen showing through. I'll try this sharpie trick.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
I think it was Bjansen who suggested putting a coat or two of truoil on phenolic to fill before the finish is applied, works good.  Got to remember and try the sharpie trick as well.

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
If I use multicolored overlays, i'll actually tape off the overlays and limb and use some flat black spray paint to keep the fibers from showing, I also have used the black sharpie idea like Kenny stated.  I usually do glass, then phenolic, then glass again so the glass blends into the limb easier. I also have used smooth on to coat the overlays to "seal them" before I put finish on.  That helps keep the fibers from showing as well.

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©