Author Topic: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Draffish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
looking very good been away for a week looks like youve done some nice work while ive been away lots of nice reading to catch up on your 28  page mega build  :)  
again looking a beauty lots of character
live free die young

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
just picked up a 12' 2x10, a steel yardstick, and a couple more clamps... you can never have enough clamps... gonna get to building the form in a little while

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
cool
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
how do i go about heating the bow on the form? clamp the center then heat 5-7" at a time for 5-7 minutes with a heat gun, then clamp and move to the next section? seams like i read something like that before, but i can never find explanations of how do do things like that when im looking for them.

Offline CardboardDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
basically, heat section - clamp - heat - clamp and so on. Toast it till its brown, don't char it, but toast it good. As long as it's bending nicely at floor tiller you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
finished my form last night but phone was dead so i couldn't get the pics up... but here it is.

had to chisel out a little dip for the knot to sit in so the handle would sit flat on the form. fits nicely.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
then i figured i would try straightening a litle bit. basically just clamped the limbs up against the back of the form after heating... with some strategically placed wedges. sorry no pictures of the process... but here is the results:

before:

after:

may need a little tweeking later on, but at least the whole bow sits in the center of the form.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
the specs on the form are taken exactly from Pearldrums' form from the build referenced above.  only thing i changed was the last two points.... mine are (31.25 , -5) and (33 , -6) and thats just because my bow is a tad shorter than his.  also i cut off the corners of the back of the form to make room for my clamps for sideways clamping.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I guess it's Ok:)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks Roy!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Boy that looks a lot better.
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
just one pointer, with that backing board on the caul, watch when you are heating the belly, as the heat deflects off that back board, and hits the back of the bow, an' you cant see that you are toasting the back of yer bow.
I have taken to drilling big( 1/2") holes on the backboard so that the heat can dissipate, and I try and run my heat gun more vertically and more from the closed side/backboard side- so that the heat is directed away from the backboard.

no one else seems to have had this problem on here- jus' me.
so its prolly operator error- but just watch for it.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
good tip. drilling holes is a pretty good idea. wonder if anyone has had that problem with the form itself and not the backing board.... could drill some holes down into it too.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
im hoping to get the bow heated up and bent to the form tonight.  do i need to let it sit a few days to rehydrate before tillering again? seems like i read that somewhere.... but not sure.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
sweet

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Fujimo, you aren't alone. I recently toasted the back of a self bow via reflected heat. Wasn't sure how I did it till I read your post!!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
yup i was showing a friend how to straighten his stave( well- a stave i gave him!!) and we toasted the back a bit- but we cleaned it up pretty good without violating the ring- then backed it with some silk- and its still shooting well in australia- and has taken a number of goats with it already!

your bow and form are really looking great.
yup let it sit- thats the advice i got from everybody- i dont know how short a time you can leave it- if you are in a hurry to get going- i always leave them for at least 3- 4 days- sometimes way longer- just depends.
and i find something else to do!!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2013, 05:22:00 AM »
Is it truly necessary to toast it till its brown to soften it enough to bend and straighten?  Recently straightened a couple bow blanks without taking it that far. Just heated till it was too hot to touch but not enough to change color. Make sure you coat it with oil of some sort. I think that helps with moisture loss too so you don't have to wait so long to rehydrate? I didn't. But then again.... I'm new at this.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Steve, you're doing fine.... for bending, there's no need to toast it, just heat til you can't put your hand on it. I never heat them until they change color, and I never put oil on them. The fact that I've done it hundreds of times successfully without oil tells me it's probably an unnecessary step  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©